Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improve the Curve Editor

Improve the Curve Editor

please make this up to par and as fluid and comfortable to use as Maya.

please please please. Animating in Max is worse than going to the dentist when the dentist is a horse.

19 Comments
AutodeskUser1235
Advocate

- fix Euler filter

- I should be able to drag across fcurves to select them like maya

- if i have a group of keys selected on the same frame for example, and I want to control all their bezier curves at once, moving the handle should affect all the keys selected, not just the single bezier that is selected

- to control beziers make it so i dont have to grab the tiny handle of selected key to move it

- allow keys to snap to adjacent key values

- make it easier to access and understand the infinity out of range curves

- visibility tracks should be default 

- interactive update should be on by default, or at least allow max to save my preference

- improve your preview animation tool - its absurd I can't output audio with it. how do you expect people to do lip sync!!! come on

pretty much just focus on improving the animation experience as a whole please. maya was so so sweet, please just get this closer to that. animation features in max are either unnecessarily cumbersome or non-existent.  Animators need to be as fast as possible and your animation environments/features/windows are not conducive for that. please please please strive to improve and get some parity between maya and max for animators.

AutodeskUser1235
Advocate

right now <> frames up 1 or back 1, but in auto key mode it jumps to each keyframe.

those are two different functions on the same keys in the same workspace!

please allow jumping only to keyframes and stepping ahead/back 1 frame to be assigned to different keys and usable at the same time! I should be able to step fwd and back AND jump to my key frames in the same mode while i'm animating, I should have to constantly switch back and forth turning auto key on and off to access how i want to stepthrough the timeline.

also. MMB should be able to control bezier handles like in maya. i shouldnt have to only grab a 4 pixel bezier handle's square to be able to manipulate it. just copy maya. PLEASE

AutodeskUser1235
Advocate

Also, please allow me to hide helpers/shapes on a viewport basis.

I should be able to look through one camera/viewport and see only my geo/image plane while in another viewport be able to see all the controls on my rig.

its so cluttered and cumbersome to animate with everything turned on in every viewport. thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

- interactive update should be on by default, or at least allow max to save my preference

Definitely voting for this one!

AutodeskUser1235
Advocate

optimize the curve editor so I can grab every rig control, then select every key, and be able to shift all the animation without the scene stuttering.

I have 1 horse rig in an empty scene and I can't even offset the entire animation precisely with a simple select and drag offset.

also, allow arithmetic in the frame value boxes of the curve editor. If I want to shift an entire selection of keys 48 frames, let me enter " +=48" to the time value to move my selection.

Anonymous
Not applicable

n-frameoffset doesn`t work for you?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Lock tangets doesn`t work for you?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ease-to-next key doesn`t work for you?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Modify subtree/modifiy child keys doesn`t work for you?

AutodeskUser1235
Advocate

if there arent any (as I can't find) can you add overscan options for the cameras?

AutodeskUser1235
Advocate

thank you for your responses, I need to try some of your solutions. 

unfortunately I cannot edit my original posts, so even if there are proper and efficient solutions for some inquiries, I cant take back what I initially wrote. Alas, you dont seem to have answers to all my wants and needs, so hopefully Max devs will take notice and improve the anim side of things for us. Doesn't seem like their 2020 roadmap shows much attention other than to a new preview tool.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just a quick reference if you are interested:

3dsmax 2020:

Validity intervals are an internal feature that prevents 3ds Max from evaluating curves and geometry that have not changed, thus improving playback speeds.

Starting with 3dsmax2017 and higher:

Lock Tangents:

(Lock Tangents lets you manipulate handles of multiple vertices simultaneously. )

http://help.autodesk.com/view/3DSMAX/2020/ENU/?guid=GUID-FD56D16F-44F5-4988-9CF5-438EECEF5B6E

Ease-to-next-Key:

(Reduces the difference in value between the selected key to the next key. Press Shift to reduce the value to the previous key)

http://help.autodesk.com/view/3DSMAX/2020/ENU/?guid=GUID-4920E280-81E3-4542-A859-74FD0545E2CA

Modify Subtree:

(Modify Subtree lets you move and scale on all sub-tracks for any/all tracks on a node. It has two modes: Edit Keys and Edit Ranges)

http://help.autodesk.com/view/3DSMAX/2020/ENU/?guid=GUID-DF79B896-87D0-4CAF-9360-13FF026E00BA

Modify Child Keys:

(Provides the ability to turn changes on and off down the hierarchy when working in Dope Sheet mode)

http://help.autodesk.com/view/3DSMAX/2020/ENU/?guid=GUID-8378F23A-F026-4A35-B10F-4E844F90381F

Relative Offset:

RelativeOffset.JPG

dswahn
Advocate

While Lock Tangents works for manipulating multiple tangents, manipulating with numerical precision requires the user to right-click a keyframe and then edit the tangent data. However, this only manipulates the tangents belonging to the same track as the keyframe you right-clicked.

In practice, this means the user must right-click on a new keyframe on every unique track where tangents need to be manipulated. This is tedious. There should be a tool where tangets can be manipulated regardless of what track they belong to. Just select the keyframes you wish to manipulate, and click a button to apply settings to all of them.

That's how it should be.

I would also recommend that a preset system for tangents is added. As an animator I usually manipulate tangents a lot, usually lengths that are different from the default length, so presets (quick buttons basically) that the user can use and customize would be handy for animators.

AutodeskUser1235
Advocate

- "add key" tool should add keys to the all f-curves that are under the current selection (highlighted? underlined?) in the graph editor hierarchy. 

- dragging across the f-curves with a selection box in the curve editor should select(underline?) the curve/s, as of now you can only select them one at a time by double clicking exactly on the thing f-curve ( or selecting from the left-hand list)

AutodeskUser1235
Advocate

- add a mute channel/curve function for the curve editor. theres zero reason why this program doesnt have this basic function by this point....

i should be able to temporarily disable the animation while leaving the keys etc. intact.

thanks

AutodeskUser1235
Advocate

- allow the ability to expand and condense the frame range of the timeline/slider akin to maya. right now if i have a shot that is 240 frames, but only want to focus on frame 0-48, I have to go into the time config settings change the entire scene's frame range to 0-48.... then if I want any changes to see anywhere beyond 48 frames, i have to know exactly what frame and go back into the time settings and change the scenes frame length again... 

its quite cumbersome and intuitive. changes please... even if they are just input boxes below the timeline that allow you to set the range

thank you

AutodeskUser1235
Advocate

- should be able to key the frequency of a noise controller

regarding the UI style alone I have a special idea on this. Pls support it

[UI Track View] A more clean, tidy and fresh UI like the new Maya Graph Editors

AutodeskUser1235
Advocate

- Right now, the only way that i'm aware of to access audio files, is by opening up the dope sheet, and then dbl clicking the sound property.   i dunno why audio options are buried so deep in one menu, but they should be easily accessible - or at least able to open the sound options from the track view/graph editor.   lets go Max - pick it up

- add a similar "Channel Box" akin to Maya's into the the motion panel. it just needs to display the values that are associated/displayed in the track view graph editor.    (and if implemented hopefully similar functions would come along with it like sync timeline display and sync graph editor etc).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report