Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add more OpenEXR visually lossless (lossy) compression options

Add more OpenEXR visually lossless (lossy) compression options

It would be nice to have the DWAA and DWAB compression methods added as options for opening/saving to EXR from 3ds max.

2 Comments
HenrikBC
Explorer

I forgot to add the "why it would be great" to have these compression methods added.

DWAA + DWAB can dramatically drop the file sizes of EXR files, while maintaining a similar quality without any noticeable visual loss (visually lossless). I love having the ability to work with half-float frame stacks in compositing, but huge file sizes are a drain on hard drives (both in taking up space and performance). I believe that reading from a frame stack of DWAB compressed EXRs will not only take up less space, but may even load faster in some scenarios (I do compositing in After Effects and my work drive is a single spinning 7200RPM disk).

There are cases where you may not want to give up the actually lossless quality (for deep compositing and maybe Z-buffers), but for the majority of the work/passes that I need to do/use, DWAB (with an option to choose the compression level) would be a massive upgrade to my 3ds max -> compositing workflow.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Second that. The OpenEXR library supports this compression out of the box, so it should be absolutely trivial to add this feature.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report