Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improve Editable Poly Modeling

Improve Editable Poly Modeling

Please, focus on Editable Poly, it's what most Max users use to create something in Max.
Editable Poly needs some serious update.

+ Loop & Ring
    - Ring selection with shift is broken since 2 years ago, fix it (make a box with 2 segments, convert to editable Poly and see how ring and loop selection with shift fails half of the time... very frustrating)
    - Loop selection needs to add an option for: continuous loop selection

+ Circular
    - Circle loop should work on continuous edges selection (actually only works on loops)
    - GeoPoly should work on several faces selected (acting them as one), now it only work on individual faces

+ Extrude
    - FIX EXTRUDE: Polygons gets shifted when they're non co-planar, this is HIGH PRIORITY!
    - make extrude and inset work with shift, move: shift+drag=extrude, scale: shift+drag=inset

- add segments to extrude/bevel/inset
    - make extrude smarter: remove internal faces, act like bridge when needed...

+ Cap
    - Cap should create quads, instead of a huge ngon

+ Detach
    - Editable Mesh has the option to Explode polygons into elements or objects, Editable Poly should be able to explode all its elements into separate objects

+ Selection
    - Fix Preview Selection Multi, if it gets fixed it'll be the best way to work
    - Double click on Polygon to select the entire Element
    - Edit Poly should work on the input selection, instead of overwrite the selection

+ Symmetry
    - Transform and Tools should have a symmetry option, so they work symmetrical without a symmetry modifier

+ Sculpting Tools
    - Improve current sculpting, like adding mudbox sculpting engine to Max

+ Retopology
    - Editable Poly should have an option to constantly project onto other meshes (this could live in Constrains)
    - Automatic retopology (with and without guides)
    - More and Better control over topology tools (Ribbon -> Freeform)

+ Normals
    - Editable Poly should be able to directly edit normals
    - Face Weighted normals should be the default

+ UV
    - Editable Poly should be able to edit UVs, without adding an extra modifier (Unwrap)

+ Fix Maya Navigation Mode
    - once Maya gets axed you have to make ppl comfortable in Max

+ Snaps
    - Swift Loop should work with snaps

+ Tools Visibility and Shortcuts
    - Some very useful tools are hidden from the user: insert loop, PolyShift Move, Edit Soft Selection... give them default shortcut and its place on the default Right Click Quad
    - Unify Modeling tools under the same roof, they are scattered all over the place
    - Grow/Shrink with shift+mouseWheel

27 Comments
Tupaia
Advocate

Bunch of good ideas...

Without going into the details:

- I can confirm loop/ring selection with SHIFT is glitchy. Come on...

- double-click to select an element would be nice, even when the subobject is 'polygon', not 'element'

- snaps: in fact, EVERY modelling tool should work with snaps!

Please also fix the bug that with "auto window/crossing" on, the 'paint selection region' tool does not work in crossing mode.

Kelly_Michels
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

electrotoast_old
Community Manager
Status changed to: Under Review

alitanucer
Contributor

Great suggestions.

May i add to this list long awaiting feature - "Please add being able to select the vertex points and edges on the smoothed mesh when mesh smooth is on rather than using the archaic cage wireframe)" 

This option can be activated when you unchecked the show cage option. This was requested by me several times over the years hopefully, it can be implemented soon.

aon.914858227
Mentor

I think this suggestion should go hand-in-hand with making the modeling UI more consistent. Please mirror the functionality of the Graphite Modeling Ribbon in editablePoy/editPoly-modfier.  See this idea.

clemens_at
Enthusiast

may I add: 

Loop and Ring (and Dot Loop/Ring) selection with Arrow keys in vertex, edge and polymode!

sam_large
Advocate

Inset tool also creates naff geometry when you have loops near each other in corners. Simple fix is to inset at 0 then scale which works fine but has less control...

danny.austin
Advocate

@aon.914858227 Absolutely agree. I've been using the command panel buttons for years and I still have trouble fishing out the right button. A poly modelling panel would be good but I'd like the ability to remove all the tools I never use to streamline the UI

很不错的想法,期待后面能够添加到max中

KarlAkimor
Advisor

These ideas should be independent entries. Some are very interesting, others not and others are undefined.

justofig
Explorer

+1 to fixing the Preview Selection feature. And please let us change somewhere the hit radius of it; right now I believe its hardcoded in the SDK file. At least expose this value to maxscript, so that each user decides how big the range of the feature is. 

DCook01
Explorer

Max's tools were always the greatest when it came to modeling. But since the Modeling Tool Kit was introduced to Maya, that changed. The simplified quad draw tool, which is a complete pleasure to use in conjunction with the Live Surface Snap, is so easy, nothing is difficult to use. Oh and the new circularize feature in Maya, please!!!

Can we not have the same tool kit set up in Max. Just with the ability to use the caddie menus for precision?

domwell
Participant

I totally agree to integrate the Ribbon panel into Edit/Editable Poly. Why is it splitted? Basically, it is based on a E Poly, so why confusing new beginners that there are many more tools which are really great.

Btw, I like the possibility that you can tear off the groups in the Ribbon panel. I wished this would be possible in the E Poly as well.

pbazel
Community Visitor

Yeah, this should be top priority... editable poly is what gets 90% of time/use for modelers....

his comments for extrude, inset,  etc. could not be more relevant. Bridge needs fixing too! 

These are the fundamentals of the whole program. time for an update!!!

Dubz70
Participant

The way the connect / bridge tool figures out what to connect to really needs an update. Often if you have multiple vertices facing opposite each other they won't connect accurately. 3DS will work out some crazy path that's not desirable, causing horrible triangles instead of parallel lines etc.

megadavidpro
Enthusiast

this is good idea implement please shift extrude so fast - shift scale for inset 

UNIFY THE RIBBON WITH THE MODIFY PANEL. This is a disjointed and outdated UI. There is too much redundancy and ugly UI there. Pls include the extra modeling features of the Ribbon to the mian UI and get rif of it for good. 

joeaf9321
Enthusiast

I agree with @Xerges and I would also add these features.

+ Extrude

- make extrude smarter: remove internal faces, act like bridge when needed, allowing to create holes and remove faces (with an option, if the user want).
-why not unify Extrude and Bevel?
-if you create an extrusion and some of the faces correspond to other faces of the mesh, create an option that permits to remove those faces and weld the vertices, also if there edges or loops, create the right connections between vertices
-add interesting functionalities like Taper, with the curve part and the beveling, Twist option, Option to make it round/square/hex toward the end of the extrusion.
-add simple stuff like the edge loop regularizer script (look for it in scriptspot), add square/hex/oct shapes too.

-extrude along spline should be more intuitive, not just selecting and external spline, also when you activate the tool it should let you create the spline directly over the polygon you want to extrude with a freehand splines, adjusting it and seeing how it changes the extrusion (I kknow this one can be a little tricky).

+Cap function:
Like in this post:
https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-ideas/add-a-method-to-cap-with-quad-topology/idi-p/6804362

+Snaps:

-Everything should work with snaps, every tool like Extrude or Insert, also the Select and Scale tool.

-create a Snap to polygon center.

+Mirror option for subobjects:

-so you don't have to detach the sub-object as another mesh, mirror it and then attach it back to the original mesh

[UI & Modeling - Command Pannel] Unify ribbon\graphite modeling tools with Editable\Edit poly tools ...

regarding the unification of ribbon and edit poly panel functionalities I made this separate suggestion. pls upvote it there.

aon.914858227
Mentor

@Kranos_OrphydianVoted. Much needed.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report