Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Game exporter evolution

Game exporter evolution

The Game exporter is very valuable for us.

But it has some areas where it could be improved.

I will try to outline them here.

1. Better way to define what is being exported
    1. As it is now you can do ALL, Selection and Object set. I see no use for the first two, but the last is a decent idea... But
      1. "Object set" is a little clumsy to work with. Building a scene over days, weeks and adding new objects you have to ALWAYS, AGAIN and AGAIN add the objects to the object set. An improvement could be:
    2. Export by layer (and sublayer)
      1. You could just keep adding objects to the working layer move them to an used layer to ignore them and sort them in sub layers.
        1. This way you could skip the step where you would have to add the objects to a selection set.
    3. Export by Hierarchy (including child objects)
      1. Select a top node to export it plus all children
        1. more or less the same as layers.
        2. You would just have to link nodes in a proper hierarchy.
  2. Have export settings embedded in the max file so they are loaded when you load the max file.
    1. 99.9% of the time an export setting is tightly connected to a specific scene.
      1. It is OK to be able to save settings to disk, but most often you dont need those export settings somewhere else.
    2. I feel dumb when I have to load export settings again and again.
      1. A max scene could easily have 10 different export settings in it. Very tedious to load them every time you load the max file.
  3. All file I/O dialogs should be the good old max open/save dialog. It has good shortcuts to resent file paths

That's it for now

Hope it makes sense.

Stephen 

7 Comments
phil2QJLR
Community Visitor

We also find Game Exporter very useful, and have a few additional suggestions:

1. Would like an option to generate the export filename from what is being exported. For example, if we are exporting an object set named "StartRoom", then name the exported file "StartRoom" automatically. Having to manually type in a name is very prone to human error (i.e. it's very easy to type "startRoom" or "Startroom", or "StratRoom", etc.
  2. Would like to be able to select multiple things to export. For example, if the export type is "Object Set", then allow selection of several object sets, and each one would be exported separately (ideally, with names per suggestion #1)
Kelly_Michels
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

electrotoast_old
Community Manager
Status changed to: Under Review

aten2000
Participant

The game exporter is next to useless as it currently stands. Can it at least be brought into line with the Maya version that has the option to send objects to the origin?

Something else it needs - unless I am completely missing the point - is the ability to export every object in the scene with its own name, instead of having to enter a filename for it? Say I want to dump an entire scene of objects out that all have their own names, how am I supposed to do that? 

OctatoMax01
Observer

What is status on these? 

I would love to be able to move around with the animtion clips (something that I am used to in Maya and really missing here). 

I agree on the "have export settings embedded in the max file so they are loaded when you load the max file"!

aten2000
Participant

Haha, I just realised I posted that comment over two years ago. As far as I know no-one reads these threads dude.

The exporter in Max is still way behind Maya's. In Maya if you tell it to 'export selection' & 'export to multiple files' you can 'hack' it to use the object name in the Maya scene for the object name so you can export single objects without having to type names. Max doesn't have that workaround. Also the move to origin is not there. So I'm guessing it hasn't been touched since I posted this. unless anyone knows different and I need to update max (it was still rubbish in 2017 last time I used it)

stephen.foged
Contributor

Now there is no Game Exporter anymore.
The new Real Time Exporter is even worse.
Follow this thread on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/stackthis/posts/1680916382254851/

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report