Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Better Cut/Quickslice/Slice Plane

Better Cut/Quickslice/Slice Plane

It would be great to have Cut tool/Quickslice that use the "Angle Snap" if enabled to cut at specific precise angles (without need of create point for snaps), it could work either only when MAIUSC it's pressed as for splines.
Either way it would be great to have "X-Y-Z BUTTONS" instead of "Reset Plane" for the Slice Plane for utilize it more quickly, instead of rotating it

14 Comments
Swordslayer
Advisor
Activate Polar snap, that does exactly that (alternatively Ortho snap, if you want only 90° increments).
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep, But:
1) it works only with QuickSlice not the Cut Tool.

2) In general Polar Snap it's weird If you use It other Snaps are disabled. Enabling MAIUSC Key to use Angle Snaps when needed would be much more usefull.

Anonymous
Not applicable

"X-Y-Z" buttons for the slice plane would be handy indeed because it's quicker than rotate the slice plane with angle snap.

doomgravex
Contributor
Glad you Appreciate the Idea!
It's simple to implement but could be really usefull for daily work 🙂
Br0ken1334
Advocate

Yes, Autodesk definitely needs to update Polar\Ortho snapping modes for more usability. It's cool, but way too limited.

And Maya has similar tool.

doomgravex
Contributor

@doomgravex wrote:

It would be great to have Cut tool/Quickslice that use the "Angle Snap" if enabled to cut at specific precise angles (without need of create point for snaps), it could work either only when MAIUSC it's pressed as for splines.
Either way it would be great to have "X-Y-Z BUTTONS" instead of "Reset Plane" for the Slice Plane for utilize it more quickly, instead of rotating it

3Ds Max lack of an intelligent snap able to recognise perpendicular and parallel points.
Revit has it, Autocad has It, other popular software has It... I do not know why they didn't implement it in 3ds max, that has a so great modeling potential but lacks of a lot of really basic features

michael_spaw
Autodesk

Thanks for the idea.

Michael Spaw

3ds Max, Product Owner/Designer

Media and Entertainment Division

electrotoast_old
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with the request.

A QuickSlice that can work fully orthogonal (or polar related) by just holding 'Shift', 'Ctrl' or any other key. 

We all build boxes as guidelines to do orthogonal cuts, which is tedious.

Thanks.

Swordslayer
Advisor

@Anonymous if you're building boxes just for snapping quickslice, activate ortho snap/polar snap instead (bind it to a shortcut or add it to a toolbar).

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Swordslayer  Thanks!

I didn't know Polar snap.

It shouldn't be so hided in my opinion 🙂

like yes Mayas multicut tool is just state of art. Its ridiculous because Maya isnt even focused on intense session modeling.

pretty similar with this idea Upgrade The Cut Tool

Maybe merge them altogether and combine the Votes ?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report