Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade The Cut Tool

Upgrade The Cut Tool

3ds max standard cut tool is old compare to other 3d programs (such as Maya or MODO).

So, Idea for Upgrade:

• When Ctrl pressed: Snap to edge center;
  • When Shift pressed: Snap to vertices;
  • When Alt pressed: Slide vertex along the edge  aka edge constrain(for example with step - 1%);
  • When Ctrl + Shift Pressed: Activate Quick Slice tool(also exist in Max);
  • When Shift + Alt Pressed: Remove vertex(by mouse click);

In max exist tool with similar logic  - Swift Loop;

I think most of proposed features are possible to do in next Max release. 

7 Comments
companioncube
Collaborator

some of these are available with the 'Paint Connect' tool which is what i use most of the time.

• When Ctrl pressed: Snap to edge center;
  • When Shift pressed: Snap to vertices
  • When Shift + Alt Pressed: Remove vertex(by mouse click)

it would be nice to have them for cut too.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I would like to see a Cut 2.0 that is an amalgamation of Cut and Paint Connect. Blender's Knife tool is a bit crap, but it has 2 great features that Max Cut should have: snapping the tool to an axis or in degrees, and a cut through(like quickslice but with snapping as well)

I would also like if the tool automatically snapped to verts/mid-edge without the need for a modifier key - just highlight the cursor or vert/edge so we know visually what it's doing.

danny.austin
Advocate

I'd love to see a better vertical and horizontal snap. or even just a cut line that obeys the 3ds max angle snap feature when enabled. 

brentscannell
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

miauuuu
Collaborator

Work in progerss: miauu's Scalpel

after using Maya and Mayas multicut tool a lot lately, the 3ds max way of handling different cut operations its really tedious. Not even mention the lack of precision features compared to Maya Multicut. Just a great and refined tool. 

Blender 3.0 got serious improvements on their Knife tool. Pretty much everything worthy to ask for such a tool:

GSoC Roundup Episode Three: Ahead of the Curve, On the Cutting Edge — Blender Developers Blog

Ive made a well-illustrated idea about this. Might worth voting there as well: 

[Smart Cut, Multi-Cut tool] Unify, enhance and speed up different cut operations similar to Maya's M...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report