Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

URGENT - 2023.2 update cannot open scenes created previous 2023 version?

93 REPLIES 93
Message 1 of 94
JezEmin
9354 Views, 93 Replies

URGENT - 2023.2 update cannot open scenes created previous 2023 version?

I've tried opening scenes created using 2019, 2022 etc and 2023.2 opens those fine.

But.... 2023.2 does NOT open scenes I've created using 2023.1?????????????????????????????

PLEASE, PLEASE AUTODESK FIX THIS ASAP - I have projects I have created using 2023 and need to work on URGENTLY.

Thank you.

-------------------------------------------------
3d rendering services
Asus X299-SAGE, 7980xe @ 4000mhz, Corsair Hydro H150i Pro,
1Tb Samsung M.2, 128Gb Corsair LPX DDR4,
2 x Nvidia RTX 3090 FE,
3DS Max 2023.1 (3DS Max 2022.3, 3DS Max 2021.3 as backup)
Windows 10 Pro.
93 REPLIES 93
Message 21 of 94
abrahamZZG2U
in reply to: JezEmin

At the very least I wish autodesk would "pull" the update and stop people from downloading it until this is hotfixed.

Message 22 of 94

After years of creating more bugs than fixing, their user base dwindles, so I imagine they are outsourcing their development to Fiverr. This is shameful, if not actionable. They didn't test this update at all.,

Message 23 of 94
JezEmin

Not sure why this thread is marked as Solved?????

I did not claim it has been solved at all yet it is claiming I accepted my own solution???

***EDIT**** I 'unsolved' it 🙂

3d rendering services
2 x Nvidia RTX 3090 FE,
Windows 10 Pro.
Message 24 of 94
logan_foster_adsk

On behalf of the 3ds Max team I wanted to share with you that we are aware of an issue that is preventing some scenes and mesh data from loading into the recently released 2023.2 update. We are all as disappointed by this issue as everyone else is, we care deeply about 3ds Max and about you as a customer and the expressive content that you create in 3ds Max to tell creative stories.

Thanks to the help and support of the 3ds max community we have received numerous sample scenes, have tracked down what is causing the issue, and are working on a solution that we can deliver out to the world soon so that you can have confidence and enjoyment in 3ds Max 2023.2. We thank you for your patience and support.

Logan Foster
Product Owner at Autodesk, 3ds Max

Message 25 of 94
JezEmin
in reply to: logan_foster_adsk

Thanks Logan for the update, much appreciated.

Any ideas on what timescales you think the fix will be available by?  Are we talking hours, days, a week, more than a week?

Even a guestimate would be something.  Many thanks.

3d rendering services
2 x Nvidia RTX 3090 FE,
Windows 10 Pro.
Message 26 of 94
logan_foster_adsk

As soon as possible is the time frame we are at. A fix for the issue is currently being tested internally (thank you once again to those that provided sample scenes). Once that has been verified as good we can start the formal build process, and then the delivery process. 

Logan

Message 27 of 94
whitebirchstudios

I uninstalled the update and installed an earlier version. However, my desktop app still prompts me to install the broken update. Why isn't it being pulled? It cost me 8 hours of work.

Message 28 of 94
JezEmin

It would be an absolute no-brainer to pull this update, or even send out an email to 3DS Max customers warning them to not install, or to ignore the download and install prompt for 2023.2 (whilst a fix is being sought).  This could affect a ton of users across the globe.

Thanks to the guidance of @abrahamZZG2U, I'm now back to 2023.1 and can open my 2023 scenes once more.  Thanks Abraham.

3d rendering services
2 x Nvidia RTX 3090 FE,
Windows 10 Pro.
Message 29 of 94
RoySsgi

So, what's up? Is it safe to do the update now?

Message 30 of 94
JezEmin
in reply to: RoySsgi

No, it is not safe to install it.

I am still getting 2023.2 update as being available in my "Autodesk Updater App" (Windows 10).

I'd have thought Autodesk would have pulled it off of there and made it unavailable until this issue has been resolved, but it still seems offered as a download and install.  A no brainer in my opinion.

3d rendering services
2 x Nvidia RTX 3090 FE,
Windows 10 Pro.
Message 31 of 94
RoySsgi

Thanks.
Definitely don't understand why they still allow the update to be downloaded

Message 32 of 94
gandhics

As a beta tester, I did use chamfer a lot and opened many files with Chamfers.
It doesn't happen for all files with Chamfer.
It happens when the chamfer created a certain topology with Limit Effect on.
So, I guess it is an unfortunate case that the QA files don't include the combination.
Message 33 of 94
JezEmin

I wouldn't know what or where "Limit Effect On" is. 

I'm almost 100% certain my models have chamfering as I always do some chamfering for realism, but I don't do anything fancy, nor set any 'limit effects' in place (for chamfering or anything else for that matter).

3d rendering services
2 x Nvidia RTX 3090 FE,
Windows 10 Pro.
Message 34 of 94
gandhics

It is a checkbox in Chamfer modifier. But, Edit Poly doesn't have that option exposed, and it looks like internally it is on by default. Also the chamfered topology need to have certain shape to causes issue. I just made an object and apply Edit Poly and Chamfer in 2022 and loaded in 2023.2 to make sure, and it is loading.

So, I fully agree that it should have been detected while testing and need to be fixed ASAP.

But, it is good to know what the exact problem is so user can make a decision based on the exact issue.
If you want to roll back, that's an option.
If you want start a fresh project what doesn't need chamfer on Edit Poly, you can use this.
If you made file in older version and somehow need/want to work in 2023.2, you can collapse or remove the problematic modifier from object in older version and open. Or, you can choose to not merge that object.
Or.. just wait the hotfix...

Anyway.. my point is.. it is not all objects with Chamfer modifier or Edit Poly with Chamfer. It is only a certain combination that causes it.

Message 35 of 94
r2artist

I installed the update on the 19th of September. I am converting or saving my files from Max 2022 to max 2023 and the freezes started when chamfering. Also I have problems opening files from Max 2022 and Max 2023.1. I wish Autodesk had pulled the update out as soon as people started complaining and realized the problem. It would have saved me hours of work uninstalling and reinstalling the previous version.

Message 36 of 94
holson43EEE

I am experiencing same problem!!!!  Thanks a lot Autodesk.

Message 37 of 94
holson43EEE

Autodesk, you need to pull 2023.2 update now.

Message 38 of 94
gandhics

@holson43EEE 

They may put a warning.

But, there are also many users who are not affected by this and want to use new features.

Message 39 of 94
holson43EEE

So I finished uninstalling and installing 2023.1.  I launched the program and this?  WHY???

holson43EEE_0-1663621054174.png

Message 40 of 94
DanielCantin
in reply to: holson43EEE

This is expected because the last 3ds Max startup didn't complete, you can use continue without restore,

Many times when a startup didn't complete, it is because of user settings corruption, this dialog allow you to backup and restore your user settings to be able to start 3ds Max normally again.

Daniel Cantin
QA, 3ds Max
Entertainment Creation Products, DCP

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report