Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unit scale changes to mm when exporting an .STL for 3d printing

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
kevin.evans.101
1502 Views, 5 Replies

Unit scale changes to mm when exporting an .STL for 3d printing

When I export an STL object from 3DS max the object changes scale from inches to mm in other 3d printing software.  I am creating models that I can print with my local XYZPrinting software. I am using 3DS Max 2020 student version and exporting files to .STL. (1) I only have ONE object. (2) 3DS is set to use inches: unit setup > inches (3) The object dimensions (in inches as shown in 3DS) System Unit Setup is in inches as well.  (4) The STL check modifier in 3DS tells me there are no errors. (5) I export the object: 3DS > export > .STL (a window pops up with very few settings)  I tried ASCII then BINARY. I tried to tick and untick "selected only". However, everything leads to the same conclusion (auto-converted from inches to mm). (6) When I import the file with other software, the object's dimension is again in mm.  

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. 

TYIA, Kevin

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Can you confirm if the STL comes back into Max itself in inches or millimeters if you re-import that exported STL into Max?

Message 3 of 6

After asking around, I learned that the STL file format does not contain any unit data stored in it. See if your printing software has some setting for units upon loading the file. You may be able to designate the scale of the file in your target application.

Message 4 of 6

inches

Message 5 of 6

Thank you,  I tell the software inches and it still doesn't accept it.

Message 6 of 6

I take it nobody knows?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report