Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Statup Polytools.ms error message and Arnold Render freezup

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
jackCCADC
951 Views, 5 Replies

Statup Polytools.ms error message and Arnold Render freezup

This is a new install of 3DS Max 2019 on a new Alien computer that has never run an Autodesk product before.   Upon startup I get the series of error messages shown below that seem to be related to the polytools.ms script.  I can close those box and use max as normal which seems to function normally otherwise EXCEPT if I engage the Arnold renderer and try to render something...at which point it just locks up and freezes up the entire pc and I have to cold reboot.  I've tried to have our IT guys look at it along with Autodesk rep and they haven't been able to rectify the issue.   I'm attaching the relevant hardware and version data as screencaps below.  Can anyone please provide me some guidance so i can get working?cap5.PNGcap3.PNGcap4.PNGcap5.PNGCapture.PNGcap6.PNGcap2.PNG

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
brentscannell
in reply to: jackCCADC

Hi @jackCCADC

Hmm this may be indicative of an installation issue, but before you start down that path could you try running 3ds Max as an administrator (right click shortcut) and see if that resolves any of those startup issues.

Can you also check if your Arnold plugin (shown in Windows Programs and Features as MAXtoA for 3ds Max 201X) is up to date? You can get the latest and greatest here: http://solidangle.com/arnold/download/#3dsmax

Message 3 of 6
jackCCADC
in reply to: brentscannell

I updated Arnold which didn't change the situation and ran 3ds max 2019 as admin which didn't help either.  Although I did accidentally change the graphics display mode which prevented 3ds max from starting up at all.  The only way I could get it to startup with as renaming the ENU folder in the c:/users folder which forced MAX to basically reset and create a new ENU folder.  

This has eliminated the dialogue error boxes that were popping up. YAY!  So now max starts up normally without errors.  But if I switch to the Arnold Renderer it still locks up the whole pc and needs a cold boot.  Apparently, the two issues were unrelated.

I've run Coreinfo from the Microsoft website to confirm the pc supports SSE 4.1.  Any ideas why Arnold is freezing up the pc when I initiate it int he Render-Setup Dialogue.

maxtoaversion.PNGsse.PNG

Message 4 of 6
jackCCADC

Update....so by renaming the ENU folder in the c:/users area Max reset and created another ENU folder and has eliminated the error boxes I was experiencing upon startup.  Arnold was still freezing up the computer when I switched to it in the Render Setup.  I then ran the Arnold update from their website and now I can get actually get Max to switch to the Arnold Renderer...but if I try to render...the render status window half-appears and then the pc just locks up.  See pic.  Any ideas?

20180726_101046.jpg

Message 5 of 6
jackCCADC

The Solution was to do a Windows complete re-install.  3DS Max 2019 and Arnold renderer now works like a charm.

Message 6 of 6
brentscannell

Hi @jackCCADC, I'm glad to hear that it worked out, even if it was a bumpy ride getting there! Have fun!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report