Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OSL shaders not working on render node.

30 REPLIES 30
SOLVED
Message 1 of 31
markus
7016 Views, 30 Replies

OSL shaders not working on render node.

Hi, I've experienced some problems when submitting a job to my rendernodes via backburner. After some research I narrowed it down to an OSL map (gabor_noise). When I added this map backburner started giving me the response 3dsmax adapter error: 3dsmax.exe process no response. (btw, I wish backburner/max would be a bit more specific sometimes).

I have 3dsmax 2019.1.1 on both my local machine and the render nodes. I also have the same version of V-ray 4. Why is it rendering on my local machine, and not on the render node?

I tried unlinking the OSL shader so it would be included in the file, but that didn't help either. Besides, the OSL file in question was preinstalled with Max 2019 and exists in the same folder on the render node machine.

30 REPLIES 30
Message 3 of 31

@markusi guess them links did not help?

Message 4 of 31

I’m sorry, I haven’t had a chance to test yet. For now I had to replace the OSL maps with regular maps/textures in order to reach my deadline. 

I saw that one of the links suggested you should run the bacburner server as admin. I will probably that that first to see if it makes a difference. Thanks for your help!

Message 5 of 31
hagen.deloss
in reply to: markus

Hi @markus

Great to hear from you on the forums! It looks like @irishman_team_kilber linked you some information, hopefully that offered a solution to the issue you are having!

I hope your weekend wasn't too full of deadlines, feel free to reach out if I can help with any further questions you have. If the links provided in the previous post helped you out, feel free to mark them as the solution 😄

Best of luck on the project!

Hagen Deloss
Community Manager | Media & Entertainment
Installation & Licensing forums | Contact product support | Autodesk AREA

Message 6 of 31
Anonymous
in reply to: hagen.deloss

This issue isn't solved by any means. OSL maps simply don't work on the backburner. No matter what renderer you use it always crashes.

Message 7 of 31
Marc_Auv
in reply to: Anonymous

I do not use Backburner for farm management (deadline), but so far it's working fine on my side...

But question : Are you using the OSL code, or do you plug a OSL file in the shader map, and if yes, is the OSL file accessible from the renderslave, I mean is it share over network in a network drive (and max pref in UNC path)….

By experience, this is better to 'root' a network path to a network drive on all machines with the same letter for all machines (obviously)...than using directly a network path (S:\\myFolder\..., will work better than \\myserver\myFolder\...)...

AUVIGNE Marc
3D Artist / Freelance

Facebook | LinkedIn

EESignature

Message 8 of 31
Anonymous
in reply to: Marc_Auv

Hi, thank you for the reply. I'm just using the default OSL file maps that come with 3ds max 2019. All the machines have the same paths for the OSL maps. The main problem is when lets say I render locally it renders fine but when i send the job through backburner onto that same machine that renders the project with no issues backburner gives an error. 

All the network paths on all the machines are set properly. Everything renders fine except files that have OSL maps.

Message 9 of 31
Marc_Auv

Ok, i have it, and even with deadline, it fail using default build in OSL.

@hagen.deloss, here what Deadline report me using 'build in' OSL shader (not OSL file, i succeed to have it working on non 2019.1.1 before, but may be now this is broken too, but OSL map at least to not work in slave mode):

=======================================================

Error

Error: 3dsmax: Trapped SEH Exception in LoadFromFile(): Access Violation

Process: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2019\3dsmax.exe

Module: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2019\stdplugs\OSLMap.dlt

Date Modified: 06/27/2018

Exception Code: C0000005

Read Address: 00000000

Instruction: 4C 8B 11 49 8B C6 48 2B C6 48 C1 F8 05 89 44 24

Call Stack:

94A30000 C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2019\stdplugs\OSLMap.dlt

+00055B31 Exception Offset

Edit : Scene File attached
Just submit it to network rendering.

AUVIGNE Marc
3D Artist / Freelance

Facebook | LinkedIn

EESignature

Message 10 of 31
Anonymous

Thank you, I hope this info helps them towards fixing this issue. Backburner errors are lackluster Smiley Indifferent

Message 11 of 31
Marc_Auv

I add the scene file (better for dev to fix it, even if in this case, that's not so complicated to create it).

AUVIGNE Marc
3D Artist / Freelance

Facebook | LinkedIn

EESignature

Message 12 of 31
Marc_Auv

@Anonymous, @markus : did someone report it to autodesk (here : http://download.autodesk.com/us/support/report_a_bug.html?SelProduct=3dsMax) ,  or is this just on the forum?

AUVIGNE Marc
3D Artist / Freelance

Facebook | LinkedIn

EESignature

Message 13 of 31
Anonymous

I haven't reported it yet, I believe its just a discussion on this forum.

Message 14 of 31
markus

I haven't reporter it either. I wasn’t aware it was an actual bug until now!

Btw, the answer marked as solution above is not a solution.
Message 15 of 31
Marc_Auv

So, it is about time to report it, and with link to this thread on the report…

(most of the time, sorry all the time, if you do a simple scene like mine, and this is not working, this is a bug)

AUVIGNE Marc
3D Artist / Freelance

Facebook | LinkedIn

EESignature

Message 16 of 31
Marc_Auv

Reported with the report form as bug 'BSPR-31997 OSL bitmap do not work in slave mode'

AUVIGNE Marc
3D Artist / Freelance

Facebook | LinkedIn

EESignature

Message 17 of 31
Anonymous

I have not use max 2019 yet. Did you try to put presets into a shared network directory and replace paths in osl maps?

Message 18 of 31
hagen.deloss

Hi everyone!

@Marc_Auv thanks for submitting the BSPR, I have contacted a few folks in support and development on the issue, a few questions for @markus and @Marc_Auv whomever else wants to chime in.

I’m wondering if the Include Maps button wasn't checked when submitting the job, or if it was, if the submission process just doesn’t actually gather/include the OSL map in the job?

If your maps are pathed using a UNC path, then the OSL should work even if you don't have that option checked, but if the map is mapped locally, it won't know where to path to.

It sounds like both versions of your Max include the update version (2019.1.1) so that checks out. 

If these questions seem a little redundant, it's only because I want to thoroughly collect as much information to include within the BSPR documentation 😄

Talk to you soon!

Hagen Deloss
Community Manager | Media & Entertainment
Installation & Licensing forums | Contact product support | Autodesk AREA

Message 19 of 31
Marc_Auv

@hagen.delossWhen I try with Backburner, include map was unchecked, and when submitting to deadline (i try both), i do not submit asset , but like you can check in my exemple scene, that's a build in 3dsMAX OSL (located to 3dsMAX install path) .

I use UNC.

To be sure, i will try creating a new project folder with max 2019, just in case this is a problem of path since i use 3dsMAX2018 and 2019.1.1 (waiting for 2019.2 for coma dot decimal separator fix, and i always keep 2 versions of 3dsMAX install) but this work perfectly fine in workstation mode.

AUVIGNE Marc
3D Artist / Freelance

Facebook | LinkedIn

EESignature

Message 20 of 31
Marc_Auv

@hagen.deloss, so I'd tried:

#1 : Create a new Project Folder, then send it over deadline. Still having the same issue, and deadline report is still :

Error

Error: 3dsmax: Trapped SEH Exception in LoadFromFile(): Access Violation

Process: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2019\3dsmax.exe

Module: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2019\stdplugs\OSLMap.dlt

Date Modified: 06/27/2018

Exception Code: C0000005

Read Address: 00000000

Instruction: 4C 8B 11 49 8B C6 48 2B C6 48 C1 F8 05 89 44 24

Call Stack:

A1810000 C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2019\stdplugs\OSLMap.dlt

+00055B31 Exception Offset

#2 : Force 3rd party path with 'C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2019\OSL', then resubmit to deadline
Same error message, so I remove the added path

#3 : Submit with backburner, with include map checked
Same error as previously

#4 : submit to deadline with the asset (so map and scene are saved and shared over network)

Deadline message show a problem coming from the OSL.dlt, so I suspect that the Dlt is propably not able to 'compile' the shader in slave mode or somthing like this, that's why it fail to  start rendering when max is running in slave mode.

AUVIGNE Marc
3D Artist / Freelance

Facebook | LinkedIn

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report