Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening UV Editor Crashes Max 2021

56 REPLIES 56
SOLVED
Message 1 of 57
Nick.Pazdan
8986 Views, 56 Replies

Opening UV Editor Crashes Max 2021

Only reference I can find from a similar issues on the forums is a 9-year-old post. Applying an Unwrap UVW modifier to any object in 2021 and trying to open the UV Editor from the subsequent menu results in a "Sorry an error has occurred and the program will now close" message. It happens with existing and new scenes. This behavior is not present on a 2019 install of Max. 

I have VRay, Substance, Floor Generator, and Itoo's set of free plugins installed, but otherwise this is a fresh install of Max on a Windows 10 rig. Any ideas on possible solutions? I was doing a test run with 2021 to justify updating our studio to the latest version but UV's are a pretty critical part of the workflow.

56 REPLIES 56
Message 2 of 57
brentscannell
in reply to: Nick.Pazdan

Hi @Nick.Pazdan 

I'm sorry to hear that. Is this using a scene/objects that were created in a prior version of 3ds Max? Does the crash happen on "fresh geometry"?

Does it give you a chance to send an error report? If you have the report number handy, or if you could DM me the email address used, I can look for clues in the report on our end.

Message 3 of 57
Nick.Pazdan
in reply to: brentscannell

This is happening on seemingly any fresh geometry created in 2021. The same geometry if saved in a 2019 compatible format will crash 2019 unless the XForm is reset, but that doesn't seem to help in 2021. I just submitted an error report (CER_218737041) so hopefully that gives you an idea of what might be going on.

Message 4 of 57
ads_czechoj

Thank you Nick for the report and the CER. This will be investigated. 

Message 5 of 57
Anonymous
in reply to: ads_czechoj

Has this issue been solved?  I;m having the same issue here with 2021.  Thanks,

Message 6 of 57
garry
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

Just thought I'd chime in as well, I'm getting the exact same crash. As soon as I open the UV editor Max get halfway through drawing the editor window and then crashes.

Fresh install of 2021 with Vray, Forest Pack Pro, Fume FX. Windows 8.1, GeForce GTX Titan X driver 441.20

Message 7 of 57
garry
in reply to: garry

Just updated my graphics drivers to the latest version.

Still crashing.

Message 8 of 57
ads_czechoj

Hi guys, we should eliminate few factors here. Most of users don't crash when opening UVs editor. I am trying to find out, which additional plugins or systems might work as a trigger of this crash. 
Please let me know if any of you has a similar plugins installed:
VRay, Substance, Floor Generator, and Itoo's set of free plugins - do you see any similarity on your side?

Message 9 of 57
garry

Hi,

All I've got installed is VRay, FumeFX, Forest Pack Pro (no free itoo plugins)

Normally crashes like this are really rare, but the original posters symptoms are so similar to mine that something must be causing it.

Do you have any idea what it may be?

-Garry

Message 10 of 57
10DSpace

@garry@ads_czechoj @Nick.Pazdan @brentscannell 

Just a troubleshooting thought here in case no one has tried this yet, but since Vray is a common plug-in to the above users, does the crash occur when Vray is not selected as the current renderer?   

Message 11 of 57
garry
in reply to: 10DSpace

Hi,

I think I found the culprit looks like it's VRay.

I uninstalled VRay and the UV unwrap editor worked perfectly. I reinstalled VRay and the problem came back. I'm using the latest version of VRay 4.30.02

Just making VRay not the current renderer (but still installed) still caused the crash.

VRay is such a popular plug in I'm surprised that it's causing problems.

Message 12 of 57
ads_czechoj

We have already defect logged for it. This was very helpful brainstorming guys! Thank you all!

Message 13 of 57
JonasNoell

Is there any updates? Also crashes for me, also got V-Ray installed...

Message 14 of 57
JonasNoell
in reply to: JonasNoell

I can also report that as soon as I uninstall V-Ray (in my case 5.02b) the problem disappears. Is that something that needs to be fixed from Autodesk or from Chaosgroup? I also reported the issue to Chaosgroup...

Message 15 of 57
garry
in reply to: JonasNoell

I deleted the ENU folder and it started working OK. I kept the old ENU folder (ENU_old) and Max created a new one.
I swapped them back again and the crash came back, something in the folder is causing Max to crash when you open the UV editor.

When I install VRay I always run the 'Custom Defaults Switcher...' So that I can get VRay to be the default material etc etc.
I ran the Defaults Switcher and loaded the VRay settings - the crashes came back. But if I loaded the Max defaults again the crashes went away.
So some setting in the VRay defaults settings is causing the problem.
I can't find out all the things that the VRay defaults change changes so it makes it hard to track down.

For the time being I'm using the Max defaults as it doesn't cause any problems. However it's a pain using the Material Editor as new materials have to be changed each time among other things.
Anyone know how to change the default material without running the Defaults Switcher?

I've posted this to the VRay Forums as well as I don't know whose problem it is.

Message 16 of 57
Anonymous

The same problem. Max 2021.1 (!).  When custom Defaults Switcher - set to V-Ray, then opening UV Editor Crashes Max (Update 1).  Set back do default - no crashes.

Message 17 of 57
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

UPD: File, once created with custom Defaults Switcher set to V-Ray - crashes UV Editor always!!! Even when custom Defaults Switcher set to default.

Message 18 of 57
Anonymous

I switched costum default to Max than I exported my couple of objects from scene as .fbx . Closed the file and opened a new empty scene. Imported my objects than UVW Unwrap > Open UV Editor worked. 

If there is a better solution for now please let me know, I am new to 3ds Max, I don't understand anything about these things. Thanks.

Message 19 of 57
Hart3D

Hey Garry

I've got the same issue as well.  Very annoying.  In answer to your question - perhaps you could use a MaxStart file to load in each time, that includes the material editor pre-populated with Vray materials?

Message 20 of 57
Anonymous

Is there any solution for this issue? I’m having the same problem here. 3dsmax 2021 and vray 5. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report