Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How I can remove those baked in shadows or whatever it it?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
reallukx
418 Views, 10 Replies

How I can remove those baked in shadows or whatever it it?

How I can remove those baked in shadows. I have no idea how to get rid of those. I tried collapsing geo, swapping material nothing is helping. It's simple just imported object from Marvelous designer.

3dsmax_FLE1azfx4F.png

http://lukx.com
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
darawork
in reply to: reallukx

Hi,

Left-click the [standard] area on the top left of the viewport, and pick 'Active Viewport Settings'. Have a mess around with the 'Lighting and Shadows' settings, see if that helps?

darawork_0-1697532827489.png

This is a screengrab from 2022, but it should look the same in 2024.
Regards,

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Message 3 of 11
reallukx
in reply to: darawork

it just changing form black to grey the shadow areas but I want to remove this strange thing totally, it's just flat geo but it's getting this strange bake. Where this thing is baked in? 

Message 4 of 11
darawork

Hrmm,

Did you import the three objects (Pillow, and two flat geos)?
Or did you squish the 3D Object in 3DSMax afterwards?

If it's coming from Marvelous Designer as three objects, it looks like MD is baking somthing during the export phase. I have never used that program but that's what it looks like to me.

Are there any export setting on MD that might be causing this?

Regards,

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Message 5 of 11
reallukx

I'm using uv tool to uv morph geo based on uv to flat surface: 

Message 6 of 11
darawork

Ok,

Well as above, if the default lighting in 3DSMax is only illuminating one side of the pillow I can see how that would happen. I am no expert in UV Tools, not even close, in fact I probably know nothing about them... but that appears to me what Max is doing.
If you were to light the object equally on both sides I presume the 'baked in' shadow would not be there? Would that be an incorrect assumption?

Regards,

Darawork
AutoDesk User

Message 7 of 11
reallukx

not sure but even if it got baked in somehow why changing material doesn't remove it? where is it baked?

Message 8 of 11
darawork

Hi,

I only have 2022 installed on this workstation, 2024 at home, so I can't open the file.
I have only breifly touched on texture baking, so I'm not the best person to reply.

Looking at UV Tools3.2m online, it looks very advanced. Enough to give me the fear just looking at it. Perhaps UV Tools is baking it somewhere?

The trouble is, there is too much shadow, or too much contrast, or the wrong type of lighting. My suggestions about changing the 3DSMax default viewport lighting might fix this, to a certain level, but to get it looking nice, the lighting needs working on.
All this is besides the point of me not knowing where the shadow is coming from, but knowing that it is there, and flattening it with UV Tools is baking that nasty shadow onto it.

If there was equal lighting on all sides before baking, there would be no shadows, thusly there would essentially 'be no spoon'; The item would be invisible against a white background. Therefore there needs to be some level of shadows, or directional/fill lighting taking place for the flat object to have an appearance of depth. If that is what you want. If not, just draw a white filled rectangle instead?

From the UVTools 3.2m Help -> Common Tab:

darawork_0-1697537755582.png

Again, grasping at straws here. I do not own or use this 3rd party plugin.

Regarding changing the material of the object and the shadow baking remaining, that's just weird. Do the baked shadows go away if you turn off the resulting UVWUnwrap modifier that might be left in the stack of the object? Dunno myself, never used it.

Regards,

Darawork
AutoDesk User

Message 9 of 11
10DSpace

@reallukx 

The morphing process that you are using seems to be messing up the smoothing groups.  If I put a Smooth modifier on top of the morpher, the "shadows" go away:

10DSpace_0-1697573742135.png

Maybe check for smoothing group settings in the UV Tool that you are using if you don't want to just add the smooth modifier for some reason.

Message 10 of 11
10DSpace

@reallukx 

FYI, the smooth modifier also works just below the Morpher modifier and above the Editable Poly base object. 

Message 11 of 11
10DSpace
in reply to: 10DSpace

@reallukx 

The normal modifier also fixes the issue, so smoothing groups might be  symptom of Normals problem.

10DSpace_0-1697613086721.png

If you gradually drag morpher fader from 0 to 100 you can see that the lower mesh element seems to be dragged inside out during morphing.   So you can also check the UV Tool you are using, which seems to separate the pillow mesh into 2 separate elements and then flatten them, for any settings related to Normals that might prevent this in first place.  If not, you can always Collapse To the stack from Normals modifier (or Smooth modifier) down, which seems to fix the problem. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report