Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting weird render errors on (some) purchased FBX models

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
heynewt
215 Views, 2 Replies

Getting weird render errors on (some) purchased FBX models

If you look at the attached images, I'm getting these weird render issues with purchased FBX models.  I used to get this when I worked in MODO, and I would fix it by deleting the embedded property "FBX Normals".   I assume this is the same embedded FBX Normals issue in MAX, but I don't know how to fix it there.  Any advice?

Tags (3)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
raiden_xavier
in reply to: heynewt

Hi @heynewt,

Thanks for sharing your issue with us.

1. Edit Poly modifier.
  2. Selection mode: Polygon.
  3. Select the object.
  4. Check that all faces are bright red. Are any a darker red? (facing inward).
  5. You can go to Edit Polygon > Edit Polygons Parameters > 'Flip' on the darker faces.

Apologies if I misunderstood.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Message 3 of 3
heynewt
in reply to: heynewt

Thanks for the reply.  Good suggestion.  There were derfinitely flipped polys.  I fixed those (tedious), and that seems to have fixed the OpenGL "black" polys.  But there are still weird render issues. 

I exported and brought the model into Modo, where I'm more comfortable analyzing.  It's a mess.  Co-planar polys, duplicate vertices, just everything wrong with it.  Bottom line is, I bought a cheap, crappy model, I think.  Lesson learned.

Thanks for the poly flip advice though!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report