Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable docking windows and toolbars in Max 2020

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
1000 Views, 7 Replies

Disable docking windows and toolbars in Max 2020

I need to find some way to disable the automatic docking feature for moving windows in 2020.  At least in 2018, Customize > Lock UI Layout would stop it; this would also hamstring my workflow, but at least I could work.  But in 2020 that same setting doesn't appear to do anything at all.

So, is there anything I can do to stop my menus from FUBAR-ing my UI?  Maybe something in the .ini file?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

I need to find some way to disable the automatic docking feature for moving windows in 2020.  At least in 2018, Customize > Lock UI Layout would stop it; this would also hamstring my workflow, but at least I could work.  But in 2020 that same setting doesn't appear to do anything at all.

So, is there anything I can do to stop my menus from FUBAR-ing my UI?  Maybe something in the .ini file?

Lock UI Layout in 2020 should do the same like in 2018. Are you saying that, even when this option is checked, you can drag/dock toolbars ?

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

Also, holding down STRG while dragging prevents the dialog/form from docking.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

That's exactly what happens.  "Lock UI Layout" worked in 2018 (although it also meant I couldn't resize any windows and screwed up the Modify panel) but now there is no difference whether it's checked or not.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

That's exactly what happens.  "Lock UI Layout" worked in 2018 (although it also meant I couldn't resize any windows and screwed up the Modify panel) but now there is no difference whether it's checked or not.

Strange. I`m just using this with 2020.1 and it works like expected. You can try the usual "Wipe your user settings", just be aware that you will loose all Userinterface customization that you have done.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

Thanks, but I already tried that.  No change except for nuking my customizing as you described.  Ctrl also makes no difference (which if anything is implemented backwards; the new command should trigger the new docking feature instead of a hidden feature to stop it from screwing you up).

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks, but I already tried that.  No change except for nuking my customizing as you described.  Ctrl also makes no difference (which if anything is implemented backwards; the new command should trigger the new docking feature instead of a hidden feature to stop it from screwing you up).

They are probably going to change that in future.

Are there any 3rd party components installed, that could probably override this option?

There is of course a setting in the 3dsmax.ini that you can try changing:

LockUILayout=1

Or try this Maxscript command and see if it toggles the option:

actionMan.executeAction 0 "409" 

All i can tell you that it is working here, no idea what could cause this.

Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

Thanks, but those aren't working either.  But for now I can work in 2018 at least; that one is still functioning correctly here.  And I can switch back to 2020 when I'm no longer adjusting keyframes and don't have to worry about dragging a trackview around my workspace.  Cheers!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report