Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug Max2018. Layer Explorer list is empty when merged objs w different sys units

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
ViperAleks
1719 Views, 9 Replies

Bug Max2018. Layer Explorer list is empty when merged objs w different sys units

There is bug in Max 2018. When I merge a .max file created in older versions of Max to Max2018  and merged file system units are different than the current system units then I have empty Layer Explorer list. And there is no way to show merged objects in this list. If I switch Scene Explorer to Hierarchy mode then I see objects. If I press 'H' to select an object in the scene I see all objects. But Layers list doesn't show merged objects.

I attach a test file. The system units of the file are inches. To reproduce the bug set the Max2018 system units to meters or centimeters and merge the provided file. Open Layer Explorer. You will notice that the Layer Explorer list is empty.

If I open provided file instead of merging with auto conversion of units then Layer Explorer works fine after that.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
brentscannell
in reply to: ViperAleks

Hi @ViperAleks 

This sounds a little like an issue we've been looking at recently, but I am not entirely sure. We published this article a little while ago which seemed to resolve the issue for the user's experiencing the issue before, however I tried the fix on your scene and I don't believe it worked. You can give it a try if you like, but I'll pass your scene and repro steps to the development team to see if it can help with the investigation.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Layers...

Note: some browsers download the attached script as a .zip, you must rename it to .ms after downloading.

Message 3 of 10
ViperAleks
in reply to: brentscannell

This bug still exists in Max2020 Update 1. Is this really difficult bug to fix?

Message 4 of 10
ViperAleks

This bug is killing me. Is there a way to manually assign objects to another layer? I hope this operation will make them visible again in Layers Explorer.

Message 5 of 10
ViperAleks

This bug has not been fixed yet.

Message 6 of 10
Diffus3d

I've been using Copitor to send files between max session and haven't noticed any problems.  However maybe all my units are the same.  Worth a shot though.  

Best Regards,

Message 7 of 10
ViperAleks
in reply to: Diffus3d

Could you check the files from the first post?

Message 8 of 10
Diffus3d

It's kinda bonkers but for me that problem is reversed.  Works fine in cm or mm but in inches the objects are missing.  

Anywho, this did the trick.   Script credit to Andrew Marlow here.  

If you get a chance, you should submit a bug report.  I remember logging info about this bug but I never knew about the unit differences being a component, and it's possible that information might be key to solving the problem.  This is tough to repro without that knowledge.  

TLDR (Select objects that arent showing up and run this script. It will create a new layer with the objects.)

layer = LayerManager.newLayer()
for n in (selection as array) do layer.addnode n

Best Regards,

Message 9 of 10
ViperAleks
in reply to: Diffus3d

This small script helps to solve the problem. Thank you so much!

Message 10 of 10
Diffus3d

Nice!  Glad to hear it!  :ribbon:

Best Regards,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report