Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arnold error in conversion

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
13745 Views, 6 Replies

Arnold error in conversion

hello,

I am new to 3ds max 2018. There is no NVIDIA mental ray so I tried to use Arnold. plz help. I get this when i do it. my scene is attached.

SYSTEM: Material Editor renderer is changed to Arnold. Previous messages are cleared.
This material is not supported: Metal Plate - Perforated 1 #1 (Autodesk Generic). An approximation will be used.
This material is not supported: Metal Plate - Perforated 1 (Autodesk Generic). An approximation will be used.
This material is not supported: 01 - Default (Standard). An approximation will be used.
This material is not supported: 02 - Default (Standard). An approximation will be used.

my laptop specs are :

intel i7 '

GeForce gtx 460m

DX runtime version:11

thanks.

Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
-niels-
in reply to: Anonymous

This is normal, Arnold does not support the MentalRay materials.
You'll have to replace those materials with Arnold materials in order to get rid of those errors.

https://support.solidangle.com/display/A5AF3DSUG/3ds+Max+Materials

https://support.solidangle.com/display/AF3DSUG/Shaders

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: -niels-

Hello,

I'm using 3ds Max 2018. I'm going thorugh some of the autodesk tutorials, "3ds Max 2018 - MAXtoA Plugin - VR Camera - Part 4/4" at the moment. I also get the error message that "This material is not supported: 01 - Default (Standard). An approximation will be used"

I've used the scene converter.

I've checked the "Legacy 3ds Max Map support" in the System tab in Render Setup.

I also just updated to the newest version of Arnold.

Help!?! :S

Message 4 of 7
-niels-
in reply to: Anonymous

Not sure why it would give the warning with the "legacy map support" active, but i'd just replace the offending material with an Arnold standard surface.

Personally i don't like the scene converter much, the times i've tried it it didn't really give me a workable result and i still had to replace materials manually...
Then again, i refuse to use the "legacy map support" since i rather use the materials that were meant for use with Arnold so that might be my issue with that...
(the scene converter changes materials to the "physical material" not Arnold materials)

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

Thanks!

Message 6 of 7
fla3d

The "legacy map support", as the name implies, is just for the maps. The only materials supported are the physical material, multi/sub-material, blend and double sided.

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: fla3d

was reading through these threads so I thought I would jump in. 

I have a question for you. I took a mental ray scene in Arnold and converted it. I see my materials in the scene but they don't not render my materials. thoughts? 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report