Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3DS Max 2018 mental ray removed

101 REPLIES 101
SOLVED
Message 1 of 102
stephen.d.green
29622 Views, 101 Replies

3DS Max 2018 mental ray removed

Not entirely unexpected after it was removed from Maya, but confirmed on nvidia's page that Autodesk have decided to no longer bundle mental ray with Max 2018.

http://images.nvidia.com/content/technologies/advanced-rendering/pdf/354915-MentalRay-FAQ-Sheet-FNL-...

If you want it, you have to rent it from nvidia.

101 REPLIES 101
Message 101 of 102
Anonymous
in reply to: stephen.d.green

I'm a bit of an unusual user in that I go back to 3DSr4 for DOS in 1994 or 5, but I haven't been professionally using it for a long time (still in IT, but left art and game industry) and for the last 10 years or so I'll use it regularly for six months and then be off doing other things and it will be up to a year before I sit down again with something I want to do.

This time it's been actually a bit over a year, and I haven't been keeping close tabs so Mental Ray and iRay being gone and the new Arnold Renderer World caught me offguard.

Now I'd love to be corrected if I'm wrong, but what I see is I've lost two renderers that I could use for production work and they've been replaced by nothing - if I want something nice that isn't covered in watermarks I have to pay $600 for an Arnold license. So now I have a car that cost me another $1500, but if I want to actually drive it anywhere I have to pay another $600, a um carry the 2, 40% increase to have what I had last year? Even if you say Arnold is a better renderer overall, the way to do that is leave the users with what they had and give them the option of buying Arnold. And no matter what I'm going to be paying something, because if I want Mental Ray capability back I'll have to pay $300 for that.

Like I said love to be corrected if I'm wrong, but I work for another big Silicon Valley corporation a few miles away, and I can just see the Powerpoints about turning rendering into a new profit center.

Message 102 of 102
DigiTal0n
in reply to: Anonymous

No, you aren't misinformed; that is exactly what happened. I like your analogy though. You can still go to the Nvidia website and download the mental ray plugin for free and use it for stills, and it is still supported by Autodesk. If you are wanting to submit to a render farm, all the options will cost you more unless you want to use SL or ART for network rendering; but those aren't the go-to engines for high-end production and have different workflows. I feel Autodesk needs to rethink this one. Their reply is basically that "....everyone else is going to this form of node based pricing"; but, that is the very reason they shouldn't do the same thing. JMO

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report