Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodeskā€™s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

3ds max 2017 viewport freezing and stopped working

215 REPLIES 215
SOLVED
Message 1 of 216
Ade_Darma
26330 Views, 215 Replies

3ds max 2017 viewport freezing and stopped working

Hello, i got some issues with my 3ds max. it always freezing when i click it and then the viewport turns black.

and sometimes it just showing and error and saved my file into backup folder.

i have i7-6700, GTX 970 and 16gb ram with windows 10 running.

please help.

215 REPLIES 215
Message 2 of 216
kgokhangurbuz
in reply to: Ade_Darma

Hi;

Can you please update your graphics cards drivers and re-try?

Also, can you please change your graphics mode to any other from current one (Start > Autodesk > 3dsMax2017 > Change Graphics Mode) and re-try? (Trying the first option first will be a better choice)

Also, what error are you experiencing? can you provide a screenshot of the error or give the code(if any)?

Message 3 of 216
Ade_Darma
in reply to: kgokhangurbuz

i already updated my graphics card yesterday, i did change my graphics mode into DirectX9 and the default one is DirectX11.
first time i opened my file it was fine when i movie the camera and move some verts, few minutes later the viewport freeze and few second later it showing nothing in all viewports, then turned black and i still can click anything but nothing in the viewport. and btw i use my 3ds max for making 3d hairstyle for game, so i don't use V-Ray.

Message 4 of 216
kgokhangurbuz

Hello;

V-Ray has nothing to do with your viewports, this is %100 3ds max and / or hardware related.

Do you experience this problem in a single file or does it happen even in a new scene?

Message 5 of 216
Ade_Darma
in reply to: kgokhangurbuz

i know and that's why i don't even use V-Ray cause i used 3ds only for making 3d objects for game.
before i use 2017 i was using 3ds 2010 and the file that i opened in 3ds 2017 is from my older 3ds max, and almost every scenes having the issue even i made a completely new scene its still happen.
Message 6 of 216

Hello @Ade_Darma,

I'd like to help you with this issue with your viewport.  Sounds like from your 2nd post that you've recently upgraded your graphics card, is this correct?  Or did you mean the display driver?  (Just making sure.)  I looked for a crash report from your email address used in these forums and I was unable to find any submitted reports from that address.  

My first feeling is that you should reset your user settings.  If you recently just added this graphics card, make sure it's seated properly in the motherboard, sometimes they can wiggle a bit and have issues.  Let's start with these questions and suggestions and we'll work from there.  

Best Regards,

Message 7 of 216

Hello @Ade_Darma,

I just wanted to follow up here, any progress on your issue?

Best Regards,

Message 8 of 216

I know this is an old thread but I have the same problem with an NVidia 1060, the current drivers (376.33 as of 1/1/2017) and Direct X 11 viewport configuration.  It is unstable and hangs at unpredictable times.  The geometry may have something to do with it.  It appears that the Direct X draw routine goes into an infinite loop when examining the 3ds Max thread when the view port hang appears.  It's only the display port that hangs.  I can still save, use menu items, etc., but the viewports are dead when it happens.  After a short while Max will then crash as previously reported by others.

Reverting to DX9 solves the problem, however selection boxes are sluggish and the overall viewport experience is slower than DX11.  I can send example files where this happens.  It seems the more geometry and the more complex it is, the more likely this will happen.

Message 9 of 216
istan
in reply to: gregg_lagnese

Some extra input from my side: I have three different machines with different NVidia cards and they all do not work with Max2017 & Nitrous.

After changing to "Legacy Direct3D" driver, all crashes were fixed.

All these machines work perfect with Max2016 & Nitrous.

I can immediately repeat the crash on all three machines with a simple mesh - even without vray or any other specific material.

Message 10 of 216
bodbacka
in reply to: istan

I too have the same issue, on two separate machines. Both using nVidia graphics cards (GTX 970) running Windows 10 and Max 2017, DX11 Nitrous.

Max 2016 did not have this issue for me. 

Max never goes into such a crash state that it allows me to send an error report to Autodesk when the issue occurs.

Viewport freezes, menus and everything else till works fine as others have mentioned.

No special plugins are installed and I'm modelling fairly simple geometry (Game content).

Message 11 of 216
darawork
in reply to: gregg_lagnese

Same story for me, viewport crashes exactly the same as Gregg explained above.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-forum/3ds-max-2017-crashing/m-p/6779532#M128594

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Message 12 of 216

Hello all,

Clearly this is a bigger problem than I thought.  I did a search of @bodbacka's logs and they came up with the exact 2 errors that @jacek.jerzy.maj has.  I'd thought it was an isolated case but I can see that maybe it's just manifesting itself differently for certain folks.  I have a few questions that I'd love if you all could answer so we can look for similarities.  I will update the tracker for the most common errors seen in this thread with a link to this thread.  

Please help me by filling in the following information.

---

Windows version: 

3ds Max and Service Pack version:

Graphics card:  (Please use exact make and model.) 

Current NVDIA driver version:

---

Now I have some info about specifics for users in this thread.  

@gregg_lagnese  and @istan: Thank you for taking the time to post.  If you find it crashes on you, please submit the CER with your email and I can look it up for you.  I did a search based on your forum email addresses and I don't see any logs.  Even without them, your details in this thread are invaluable and thank you.  If you use a different email address for CER, please send me a Private Message and I'll look up more information.  

@bodbacka and @jacek.jerzy.maj have the same 2 errors in their logs.  (And really only those errors.)  Previously Jacek was the only person I've seen with this crash log combination, so this is good confirmation.  @darawork is now added here because 1 of his crashes also aligns with Bodbacka and Jacek.  

Best Regards,

Message 13 of 216

Transcribing info from this thread based on issues that @valeriya.sandonata reported.

Windows version:  Windows 10

3ds Max and Service Pack version:  2017 SP3

Graphics card:  K1100M  (waiting for information on manufacturer.)

Current NVDIA driver version:  Waiting for information.

Message 14 of 216

Posting information from this thread about @jacek.jerzy.maj.

Windows version:  Windows 10 Pro

3ds Max and Service Pack version:  2017 Update1

Graphics card:  GTX 1060

Current NVDIA driver version:  All, tried 368.81 forward.

Message 15 of 216

Information about @eladgH7TKM from this thread.  This may not be related to the 2017 viewport problems, but it's a card that seems to come up for the users in this thread a lot.

Windows version:  Waiting for info.

3ds Max and Service Pack version:  2014 SP6

Graphics card: GTX 1070 GIGABYTE WINDFORCE

Current NVDIA driver version:  Latest

---

User Darawork from this thread. 

Windows version:  Windows 10

3ds Max and Service Pack version:  2017

Graphics card: GTX980 4GB / GTX1080 8GB, 

Current NVDIA driver version: Driver 375.86

Message 16 of 216
darawork

I tried the driver version in my signature, and one version ahead. I have since rolled back to my current signature version, and to max 2016.

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Message 17 of 216
bodbacka
in reply to: darawork

Windows version:  Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

3ds Max and Service Pack version:  2017 SP3

Graphics card:  GTX 970

Current NVDIA driver version:  376.33

Message 18 of 216

Hi ,

Im glad to tell you that my issue is gone .
Ive been talking to Microsoft support and they checked it by connecting my PC and helped me to update windows 10 .
My Operation system was not updated right and there were a few failure updates .
After there support - all been fine and everything works.
V-ray render works as well and it seems stable for now.

I'd like to ask if you can help me out with other thing...
I make interior visuals : if I render with adaptive subdivision the render looks very smooth and clean (less noisey ) . But I want to render with adaptive method because its much faster.

How I make adaptive subdivision's quality while I choose 'adaptiv' ( render settings ) ?

Thank you very much

[cid:image001.png@01D2667D.E8048080]
Message 19 of 216
bodbacka
in reply to: bodbacka

Forgot to add exact make and model of graphic card(s).

Graphics card: ASUS GeForce GTX 970 4GB TURBO

Graphics card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB

Message 20 of 216

In the interests of providing more information, my updated specs are as follows:

Windows version:  Windows 10 Pro (Anniversary Updated)

3ds Max and Service Pack version:  3DS MAX 2017 SP3 (Building Design Suite Premium)

Graphics card1: Asus Strix ROG DirectCu II OC GTX980 4GB

Graphics card2: Asus Strix ROG DirectCu II OC GTX1080 8GB, 

Current NVDIA driver version: Driver 375.86 

Darawork
AutoDesk User

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report