Community
3ds Max Design Visualization Workflows
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max design visualization topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making 3ds Max have a Blender-esque control scheme?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
5690 Views, 5 Replies

Making 3ds Max have a Blender-esque control scheme?

I just switched over to 3ds Max for the first time after thousands of hours with Blender. I figured it was high time for a switch, considering that 3ds Max is more commonly used in professional environments and it would be useful to know my way around the program. However, I've run into a bit of a snag - after a thorough reading of the learning center, I've found that a lot of the basic actions that I've come to rely on in Blender (extruding new vertices, moving existing vertices relative to the cursor and viewport perspective, rotating the viewport around a point via mouse control, cutting polygons into multiple new faces) have either been locked behind a series of clunky menus, or reduced to a less dexterous control scheme (I'm looking at you, ViewCube).

Is there any way to create keybindings for these complex menu navigations and/or change the way 3ds Max reacts to inputs to make it more similar to Blender? I've looked online, but all I'm able to find are tutorials on how to make Blender more similar to 3ds Max, not vice versa. 

I'm using 3ds Max 2018 Student Version.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello,

I've only used Blender a few times, I very much prefer Max and Maya, though without a educational version they cost $. That being said, you can alter the keyboard shortcuts and such by manually entering them in the Customize>custom user interface menu. I would advise learning the Max keyboard shortcuts, etc as opposed to altering. I usually alter Max to match my Maya presets, but in most studio atmospheres you will need to work on a colleagues computer and even that alteration causes problems.

Good luck to you, and congratulations on moving on to a proper software! It won't take to long before you move into areas that Blender simply can't achieve.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

Edit: my bad I thought you wanted to use the 3ds max shortcuts in Blender.

Keep in mind that Blender 2.8's new viewport Eevee could become very popular for Archiviz, here you can see a scene from the new viewport not even in beta version: https://youtu.be/mQ0mPrNdZbA

The beta will be released in august during the SIGGRAPH.

The 2.79 has included tools ideals for archiviz:

- Filmic tone mapping to allow HDR lighting: https://youtu.be/m9AT7H4GGrA

- A Cycles denoiser.

- The Disney PBR shader (Principled shader): https://youtu.be/4H5W6C_Mbck

Message 4 of 6
i.olle

I'm sorry I use max, maya and Blender on studio. 99% Blender, I only go to max if I have to do vertex paint because it's just better than blender. But no way I'm coming back to maya or max for almost the rest of stuff. Different softwares and all of them very good. I wouldn't be that toxic about "proper software" using a crashing simulator that is just slower, ugly and randomly crashing. Blender is just awesome and free.
Message 5 of 6
jackli2010
in reply to: i.olle

动画53.gif

动画54.gif

动画44.gif

动画43.gif

动画22.gif

动画23.gif

动画24.gif

动画28.gif

动画29.gif

  

Message 6 of 6
jackli2010
in reply to: i.olle

Many fast manipulations of Blender are not adequate

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report