Did you mean: 

I'm novice in .NET and I have some questions

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
1052 Views, 11 Replies

I'm novice in .NET and I have some questions

Well..

First of all I'm very glad to stay here.

My name is Celso Ventura,

I'm 29 years old and I've been working with AutoCAD since year 1996

I've been developing some routines and programs since year 2000 using Lisp and VBA.

Now I'm very interesting in develop programs with .NET technology.

So I have a lot of questions.

1. Is possible to develop programs for AutoCAD 2008 (is the only release that exists in the company that I work)

2. I have Visual Studio 2008 installed in my PC, is it good and compatible with AutoCAD 2008?

3. What is that I have to download to start to develop my own applications and where I can find it?

4. What language do you recommend to learn Visual Basic or Visual C #?

Well.

In advance thank you all 

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Celso.

I'm fairly new to .NET myself, but I think I know enough to help.

You can use Visual Studio 2008 to write for ACAD2008, but if you're using the Express edition of VS you'll want to use a wizard to set up your new projects so that you can debug your code more easily. Unfortunately I can't find one for ACAD2008 off hand, but the 2011 one can be found here, along with some great resources for getting started with either VB or C#.

As for which language to learn, that's more or less down to personal preference.

I personally feal more comfortable with VB as I moved to .NET from VBA, but that said there are some fundamental differences between VBA and VB.NET - so you might actually find it less confusing just to go with C#.

Whichever you go with, you can convert between the two with online translators, such as this one.

Hope that's of some help!

Will

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous

Hello.

The picture shows the release that I'm thinking use for develop the programs.

So I don't know if it is the best release to develop for AutoCAD2008.

And I have a few more questions, I've been reading that I have to download ObjetARX, but I was looking it for AutoCAD 2008, but I couldn't find it, so I don't know if it exists? Or is there another release that I could use it?.

I just found

ObjetARX for AutoCAD2005

ObjetARX for AutoCAD2006

ObjetARX for AutoCAD2009

ObjetARX for AutoCAD2010

ObjetARX for AutoCAD2011

What shall I must use?

Or may be it isn't necessary isn't it?

288i1916019697EEB7A5

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous

Thanks a lot Will.

I'm glad to have your answers.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous

I have no intention of starting a flame war.  So anyone out there who disagress with the following commentary, save your breath.  Read what is actually written if you think you are seeing red.  Don't forget, the OP asked about VS 2008.

Again, it is all a matter of personal preference.  This is from my own personal experience of making the jump from VBA/LISP to .NET.  There are extremists on both sides of this issue.  VB vs. C#.  Ignore any comments with biased, one-sided views.

If you wish to learn programming, then I would suggest VB for absolute beginners.  Many find it less confusing to read and write, and the compiler is very friendly.  The VB IDE is very helpful in nudging into correcting coding errors on you current line being edited before you complicate the situation by creating more lines of codes with coding errors.  The VB IDE helps you to write VB, is not focused to help you learn the Framework..  It is highly intuitive for writing VB.

If you wish to learn .NET, then I would steer towards C#.  The C# IDE is superior to the VB IDE when it comes to learning about the Framework.  It prompts for ,NET types from the first keystroke.  The VB IDE does not do this unless you type "Me" or some other symbol for an instance variable.  The C# IDE is less intuitive than the VB IDE when ti comes to writing C#.  The C# IDE makes up for this with easier to use generators than the VB counterparts.  It also offers a more bells and whistles that are geared for Framework development which the VB IDE lacks.

No matter which language you choose to use---learn both!!!---there is one thing you must do.  Find a friend.  Introduce yourself to the Object Browser Window, OBW, and make it your newest best friend.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/exy1facf(VS.90).aspx

The OBW is excellent for searching or types and methods within the Framework.  The information it displays provides an invaluable perspective on the code.  The window appears within the same IDE pane as the Code Editing Window.  This was done because of what the OBW actually shows you.  Your source code shows you how your code appears to you the developer.  The OBW shows you how your code is seen by other other code.  This last is a critical perspective that takes most folks a short time to really appreciate.  I am talking about the proverbial light bulb going off in your head.

I suggested that you learn both.  This is because most texts on each language teach you how use the Framework with the respective languages.  However, most texts focus on different parts of the Framework and/or vary in how deeply various topics are covered, if at all.  The VB texts tend to cover more of the Framework, but in less detail.  The C# texts tend to cover the more complex types, in many cases in more detail.

Hope this helps.

Rudy  =8^D

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous

1. Yes. But you may have trouble locating the ObjectARX SDK for 2008. I noticed it is no longer available on the Autodesk download page. http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=785550

2. Visual Studio 2005 is recommended for programming AutoCAD 2008 but VS 2008 will work.

3. See 1.

4. I recommend C#

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous

http://docs.autodesk.com/ACD/2010/ENU/AutoCAD%20.NET%20Developer%27s%20Guide/index.html

It would appear that you can use the latest version of the API.  Take a look at that link as for which version of Visual Studio you should use with which version of AutoCAD.

Click on the 'Search" tab.  Search for the word "version".  You should get a hit for "Which version of Visual Studio I....."

Rudy   =8^D

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous

Thanks for all help

I Downloaded ObjetARX to use with VS2008 and AutoCAD2008, I hope it works good.

Well after read all the comments, I'm thinking that the best option is to learn both language C# & VB, but most of all C#.

And I will start with C#.

I was using VB6 & V. Lisp to develop my own applications, so I will have a lot of questions, so I hope you can continue helping me.

Thank you very much dear friends.

Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous

If you are using AutoCAD 2007 through AutoCAD 2009, you should use:

• Microsoft Visual Studio 2005
  • Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 or later

That is from the link that I just posted.  That means that if you use VS2008 or higher, then you must re-target your projects to use the .NET 2.0. 

VS Express Editions lack the feature that allows you to select Startup programs through the IDE.  You might need to manually edit the csproj.user file to add an entry for a startup projgram. 

Rudy    =8^D

Message 10 of 12
Anonymous

Ok I will use VS2008 and I'll be careful with re-target my projects  with .NET 2.0

The only question that I have.

Which ObjectARX shall I must use of these?

ObjetARX for AutoCAD2006

ObjetARX for AutoCAD2009

ObjetARX for AutoCAD2010

ObjetARX for AutoCAD2011

Message 11 of 12
Anonymous

Did you read the link?  The oneI gave you above?  Here's another for VS 2010.  

Verify that your VS settings are actually correct.

How to: Use an Application Configuration File to Target a .NET ...

Note the links so that you can see the exact procedures for each Framework version.

The links are towards the upper right portion of the page.

Rudy   =8^D

Message 12 of 12
Anonymous

I would try some simple examples in both languages then see which one you like better, you will find as you start getting better with one you will be able to look at the other and pretty much be able to tell what's going on. If you want to learn two you could consider J# or wait a little while and see how ironpython develops because I think IronRuby has lost alot funding and might be cut, do not quote me on that. I code in VB.NET but I am thinking of switching over to C# not for any reason of C# is better than VB.NET but seems it easier to visual the project and how your classes relate looking a c# again it could be totally different for you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report