Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On select event not firing

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
CAD_CAM_MAN
1204 Views, 18 Replies

On select event not firing

Using Inventor 2018 Ultimate debugging with visual studio 2015 community

I am trying to learn how to use interactive selections with the API (VB.net). So I started building an add in following the admapi example for user interactive selection as a tutorial. However I cannot seem to get the onselect event to fire. The admapi example is written in VBA so my code is a little different and evidently I am missing something as I am able to select edges as expected but the onselect event never fires as the admapi example suggests it should. The form is called from the StandardAddInServer...

' Sample handler for the button.
        Private Sub m_sampleButton_OnExecute(Context As NameValueMap) Handles m_sampleButton.OnExecute

MsgBox("Button was clicked.")
            Dim oForm As New Form2
            oForm.Show()

End Sub

Below is the code for the form...

Imports Inventor Public Class Form2 Private WithEvents oInteraction As InteractionEvents Private WithEvents oSelect As SelectEvents Private Sub Form2_Load(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load oInteraction = g_inventorApplication.CommandManager.CreateInteractionEvents oSelect = oInteraction.SelectEvents oInteraction.StatusBarText = "Select an edge" oSelect.AddSelectionFilter(SelectionFilterEnum.kPartEdgeFilter) oSelect.SingleSelectEnabled = True oInteraction.Start() End Sub Private Sub oSelect_Onselect(ByVal JustSelectedEntities As ObjectsEnumerator, ByVal SelectionDevice As SelectionDeviceEnum, ByVal ModelPosition As Point, ByVal ViewPosition As Point2d, ByVal View As View) Handles oSelect.OnSelect Dim i As Long Dim dlength As Double For i = 1 To JustSelectedEntities.Item(i) Dim oEdge As Edge = JustSelectedEntities.Item(i) Dim dMin As Double Dim dMax As Double oEdge.Evaluator.GetParamExtents(dMin, dMax) Dim dSingleLength As Double oEdge.Evaluator.GetLengthAtParam(dMin, dMax, dSingleLength) dlength = dlength + dSingleLength TextBox1.Text = Format(dlength, "0.0000 cm") TextBox2.Text = JustSelectedEntities.Count Next MsgBox("IT WORKED!!!",, "") End Sub End Class

Why does the oSelect_Onselect sub not fire when the edges are selected? What am I missing?

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19

try this:

Private Sub oSelect_Onselect(ByVal JustSelectedEntities As ObjectsEnumerator,
                            ByVal SelectionDevice As SelectionDeviceEnum,
                            ByVal ModelPosition As Point,
                            ByVal ViewPosition As Point2d,
                            ByVal View As Inventor.View) Handles oSelect.OnSelect
        MsgBox(JustSelectedEntities.Count)
        Dim i As Long
        Dim dlength As Double
        For i = 1 To JustSelectedEntities.Count
            Dim oEdge As Edge = JustSelectedEntities.Item(i)
            Dim dMin As Double
            Dim dMax As Double
            oEdge.Evaluator.GetParamExtents(dMin, dMax)
            Dim dSingleLength As Double
            oEdge.Evaluator.GetLengthAtParam(dMin, dMax, dSingleLength)
            dlength = dlength + dSingleLength
            TextBox1.Text = Format(dlength, "0,0000 cm")
            TextBox2.Text = JustSelectedEntities.Count
        Next
        MsgBox("IT WORKED!!!",, "")
    End Sub

The only thing is not working is the textbox1.text = format..... 

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Autodesk Software:Inventor Professional 2024 | Vault Professional 2022 | Autocad Mechanical 2022
Programming Skills:Vba | Vb.net (Add ins Vault / Inventor, Applications) | I-logic
Programming Examples:Drawing List!|Toggle Drawing Sheet!|Workplane Resize!|Drawing View Locker!|Multi Sheet to Mono Sheet!|Drawing Weld Symbols!|Drawing View Label Align!|Open From Balloon!|Model State Lock!
Posts and Ideas:Dimension Component!|Partlist Export!|Derive I-properties!|Vault Prompts Via API!|Vault Handbook/Manual!|Drawing Toggle Sheets!|Vault Defer Update!

! For administrative reasons, please mark a "Solution as solved" when the issue is solved !

Message 3 of 19

I see that may be an issue but I am not even getting into that sub routine to read that line. Sub oSelect_Onselect is not being read.

Message 4 of 19

For me it works.
That is strange.
Please make a screen shot of the properties setting of the inventor.interop library.

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Autodesk Software:Inventor Professional 2024 | Vault Professional 2022 | Autocad Mechanical 2022
Programming Skills:Vba | Vb.net (Add ins Vault / Inventor, Applications) | I-logic
Programming Examples:Drawing List!|Toggle Drawing Sheet!|Workplane Resize!|Drawing View Locker!|Multi Sheet to Mono Sheet!|Drawing Weld Symbols!|Drawing View Label Align!|Open From Balloon!|Model State Lock!
Posts and Ideas:Dimension Component!|Partlist Export!|Derive I-properties!|Vault Prompts Via API!|Vault Handbook/Manual!|Drawing Toggle Sheets!|Vault Defer Update!

! For administrative reasons, please mark a "Solution as solved" when the issue is solved !

Message 5 of 19

Capture.JPG

Message 6 of 19

Copy local to false....

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Message 7 of 19
CAD_CAM_MAN
in reply to: CAD_CAM_MAN

There may be another issue here. I just commented out a line of code that displays a message box but the message box is still popping up when I start the add in...

Private Sub m_sampleButton_OnExecute(Context As NameValueMap) Handles m_sampleButton.OnExecute

'MsgBox("Button was clicked.")
            Dim oForm As New Form2
            oForm.Show()

Something else I notice now is the break points are not being hit. Its as if it is not connected to the edits I am making. I tried a clean and rebuild but same issues. Selection filter is not working either now though it was earlier today. Do I need to unload the add in or something?

Message 8 of 19

Same result. Still not firing after setting copy local to false.

Message 9 of 19

because you are creating a new form:

Public Sub New()
        oInteraction = g_inventorApplication.CommandManager.CreateInteractionEvents
        oSelect = oInteraction.SelectEvents
        oInteraction.StatusBarText = "Select an edge"
        oSelect.AddSelectionFilter(SelectionFilterEnum.kPartEdgeFilter)
        oSelect.SingleSelectEnabled = True
        oInteraction.Start()
        ' This call is required by the designer.
        InitializeComponent()

' Add any initialization after the InitializeComponent() call.

End Sub

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Message 10 of 19

Capture2.JPG

No Symbols have been loaded for this document? How do I load them?

Message 11 of 19

and use this reference to inventor library instead of yours:

C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Autodesk.Inventor.Interop\v4.0_22.0.0.0__@@@@@@@\Autodesk.Inventor.Interop.dll

set copy local to false

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Message 12 of 19

Still not working. Something is disconnected somewhere how can it be that a line of code is commented out yet is still being read?

Message 13 of 19

For me it works fine.
With the above settings.

What inventor version are you using?
Is this an add in or standalone application?

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Message 14 of 19

This is an add in.

Inventor professional 2018 64-bit edition build: 227, Release 2018.2.3 - Date: Tue 01/16/2018.

Message 15 of 19

That is strange. Working for me and for you not!
Let's take a closer look tomorrow...

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Message 16 of 19

Thank you for your help!  Make that Monday  Smiley Wink

Message 17 of 19

Hi,

Where is the  "g_inventorApplication" declared and how is it passed to the form2?

oInteraction = g_inventorApplication.CommandManager.CreateInteractionEvents

This is your code. 

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Message 18 of 19

Started working on this again this morning and noticed my addin button was missing from the tools tab when debugging. I went to the add ins manager and noticed the add in was unloaded so I tried to load it and it would not load. Stopped the debugger and started again, the button now appears and the add in shows as loaded. Miraculously everything seems to be working correctly now... Breakpoints are being hit, and the on select event is now firing. I did not change anything in the code from last Friday. Evidently my machine just needed restarted?

In any case the g_inventorApplication is defined in the standard add in server namespace...

Imports Inventor
Imports System.Runtime.InteropServices
Imports Microsoft.Win32

Namespace ADDIN_TEST
    <ProgIdAttribute("ADDIN_TEST.StandardAddInServer"), _
    GuidAttribute("2cf6734b-fa00-4dfa-b0e7-fbc893cc76e4")> _
    Public Class StandardAddInServer
        Implements Inventor.ApplicationAddInServer

Private WithEvents m_uiEvents As UserInterfaceEvents
        Private WithEvents m_sampleButton As ButtonDefinition

#Region "ApplicationAddInServer Members"

' This method is called by Inventor when it loads the AddIn. The AddInSiteObject provides access  
        ' to the Inventor Application object. The FirstTime flag indicates if the AddIn is loaded for
        ' the first time. However, with the introduction of the ribbon this argument is always true.
        Public Sub Activate(ByVal addInSiteObject As Inventor.ApplicationAddInSite, ByVal firstTime As Boolean) Implements Inventor.ApplicationAddInServer.Activate
            ' Initialize AddIn members.
            g_inventorApplication = addInSiteObject.Application

' Connect to the user-interface events to handle a ribbon reset.
            m_uiEvents = g_inventorApplication.UserInterfaceManager.UserInterfaceEvents

' TODO: Add button definitions.

' Sample to illustrate creating a button definition.
            Dim largeIcon As stdole.IPictureDisp = PictureDispConverter.ToIPictureDisp(My.Resources.BMAP1)
            Dim smallIcon As stdole.IPictureDisp = PictureDispConverter.ToIPictureDisp(My.Resources.BMAP1)
            Dim controlDefs As Inventor.ControlDefinitions = g_inventorApplication.CommandManager.ControlDefinitions
            m_sampleButton = controlDefs.AddButtonDefinition("EdgeSelect", "Internal Name", CommandTypesEnum.kShapeEditCmdType, AddInClientID)

' Add to the user interface, if it's the first time.
            If firstTime Then
                AddToUserInterface()
            End If

End Sub

The form is called from the add in button execute event found in the same namespace...

' Sample handler for the button.

'MsgBox("Button was clicked.")
            Dim oForm As New Form2
            oForm.Show()
        End Sub

I guess this is solved now, but would like to know what happened and what changing the references copy local to False does?

Message 19 of 19

it overwrites the default and there is the conflict..

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report