Community
VRED Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s VRED Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular VRED topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vive Tracker orientation issue VRED 2019

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
3030 Views, 3 Replies

Vive Tracker orientation issue VRED 2019

Hi,

in VRED Pro 2019.3, the orientation of the Vive Trackers has changed, which corrupts my scripts. Same for VRED Pro 2019.0. With VRED Pro 2018.3, there was no issue with that.

It differs from the orientation in SteamVR now, which is weird. Using the 2019.3 OpenVRTracker example here, with tracker made visible:

VRED tracker orientationVRED tracker orientationSteamVR tracker orientationSteamVR tracker orientation

I also experienced, that the orientation once switched back to the old behavior when I swichted from hand-mode to controller-mode. But this worked only one time, so now I am stuck with the new orientation, no matter which mode I use.

I can't find something about it in the change log.

Can you please verify this change and tell me, if it'll be consistant now?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
marc.arends
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

this behavior is not intended, but there seems to be a workaround that might help until this issue has been taken care of.

1. Shutdown all controllers and trackers
  2. Switch on two connected controllers first
  3. When two controllers are active, switch on a tracker

The tracker should now have the correct pose. It seems to be important to switch on two controllers and not only one. Note as soon as you switch off the controllers, the problem might return.

Kind Regards,

Marc Arends

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: marc.arends

Hi Marc,

thank you for your suggesstion.

Unfortunately, your trick does not work.

Never mind. The visual representation is not that important for now. And as I know now, the changes Autodesk made to the vred camera orientation are permanent, so I can deal with that.

BTW: I realised when I open the steamvr dashboard from within vred, the tracker reorients to the old behavior... cosing the dashboard sets it to the new orientation.

Hopefully the whole pairing/starting process will be better in the future!

Cheers,

Janosch

Message 4 of 4
marc.arends
in reply to: Anonymous

We found out that the issue with the wrong orientation of the trackers is related to the SteamVR update of Oct. 4th 2018. This update changed the default behavior of the trackers. An explanation can be found here: Recent Vive Tracker Changes

To get the correct orientation in VRED, you will have to follow a few steps:

1) Start SteamVR

2) Pair your trackers

3) Right-click on one of the trackers in the SteamVR-Status window

4) Select Manage Vive Trackers

SteamStatusTracker_final.jpg

5) In the Manage Trackers window, click on the role of a tracker (in this case Held in Hand)

ManageTrackers_final.jpg

6) Select Disabled from the Dropdown Menu

DisableTrackers_final.jpg

7) Repeat this for all trackers until every tracker shows its role as Disabled

TrackerDisabled_final.jpg

After that you can start using OpenVR in VRED and every tracker should have a correct orientation again. From my experience these role settings should be persistent as long as the trackers are paired.

Kind Regards,

Marc

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report