Community
VRED Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s VRED Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular VRED topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shadows Problem on VRed

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
3267 Views, 10 Replies

Shadows Problem on VRed

Hi everyone,

i have problems during the rendering of my car model. I started using the program recently,and i still have problems....when i put the materials on my car it's all ok,but the problem is that there is no shadow under my car. My question is: I have to do some calculations of shadows or something else to make it appear?

Does anyone know how to sort this issue? thank you in advance!

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
michael_nikelsky
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

in OpenGL you need to calculate ambient occlusion in order to get shadows or use spotlights. In raytracing it depends on the illumination mode you use. CPU Raster and Precomputed Illumination are just like OpenGL, the other modes will calculate accurate shadows from the environment.

Kind regards

Michael

Michael Nikelsky
Sr. Principal Engineer
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: michael_nikelsky

Ok...i did it...thanks a lot....but i have another problem: only the body of my car (after ambient occlusion calculation) became black,the other part are white. So when i put a material on it change in darker. How can i turn the occlusion to white like the other parts? wait for your answer!

Message 4 of 11
michael_nikelsky

Hi,

when your occlusion gets black although it shouldn´t be occluded then it is mostlikely that your normals are not oriented correctly. Go to the Normal Rendering mode and check if everything looks green (means normal is facing to the camera). If it is blue, the whole mesh is flipped. Yellow or purple indicate that the vertex and the face normales are misaligned, so you need to flip one of these to make them consistent.

Kind regards

Michael

Michael Nikelsky
Sr. Principal Engineer
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

Hi Michael,sorry i didn't understand, can i add you on fb and talk about that? It is important for me....is my thesis. Please!

Inviato da iPhone
Message 6 of 11
michael_nikelsky

Hi,

sorry, I am not on fb.

Do the following: When you have loaded your scene go to Visualization->Vertex/Face Normal Rendering. This will show you how the Normals are oriented. In general you want everything (except for the environment geometry) to be green, which means the normal is oriented torwards the camera. If an object is blue its normal is facing away from the camera, which usuallly means the normal is pointing inside the object. These normals need to be flipped. You can do this by using the Flip-Normal functions in the geometry editor (Scene->Geometry Editor). Alternatively you can use the ALT-key and the three mouse buttons (can´t exactly recall which button does what at the moment, I think left button was flipping an individual geometry, middle button flips a whole shell and right button flips all connected surfaces. Just try it out).

Hope this helps

Michael 

Michael Nikelsky
Sr. Principal Engineer
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

Ok i have the model in blu and green...to turn the blue into green what should do in the Geometry Editor?

Inviato da iPhone
Message 8 of 11
michael_nikelsky

Select the parts that are blue, go to Scene->Geometry Editor and under Flip Normals choose Face/Surface.

Michael Nikelsky
Sr. Principal Engineer
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous

The blue parts still remain in blue...sorry if i'm disturbing you!

Inviato da iPhone
Message 10 of 11
sinje_thiedemann

Message 11 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: sinje_thiedemann

thank you so much!!!!! this solved my problems....thank you so much to everyone!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report