Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MTEXT BOXES

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
441 Views, 13 Replies

MTEXT BOXES

This is a request for a lisp routine that would be so useful, I couldn't begin to describe. I'd like to be able to pick a single or a set of mtext objects and have thier boxes minimized to the exact fit of the string of text. This would be most useful in cases where background masks are applied. Any help or direction would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Sam
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

By the way, this, of course, will only apply to single lines of mtext since the background mask wont recognize the end of a string in a 'paragraph' of mtext.
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous

So couldn't you just explode the mtext object? If it's single line text
anyway.

--
Dann M Brower
CompuDie Inc.
Wire EDM Service
wrote in message news:5388135@discussion.autodesk.com...
By the way, this, of course, will only apply to single lines of mtext since
the background mask wont recognize the end of a string in a 'paragraph' of
mtext.
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous

I could explode my mtext, leaving me with a piece of dtext which I'd either have to apply a mask to (hating text masks, lately) or re-convert the dtext to mtext through express tools, giving the text's box the desired size. If I could apply background mask to dtext, that would be perfect, but I don't think that's possible yet.
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous

Or mask with a Wipeout using vla-getboundingbox, Express tools has that
option too.

--
Dann M Brower
CompuDie Inc.
Wire EDM Service
wrote in message news:5388211@discussion.autodesk.com...
I could explode my mtext, leaving me with a piece of dtext which I'd either
have to apply a mask to (hating text masks, lately) or re-convert the dtext
to mtext through express tools, giving the text's box the desired size. If
I could apply background mask to dtext, that would be perfect, but I don't
think that's possible yet.
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous

That's true. But when using text masks, you create a totally new object associated with the text. Preselected texts that are masked wont go straight into edit mode when you hit the 'text edit'. Second, copying and pasting them using the clipboard removes the association and in the name of simplicity, I'd just much rather have a single mtext object. I just want to be able to size their boxes to the size of the string where I don't have to open each piece of text and move the box size to the end of the string.
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous

You don't have to "move the box size", just double click on the < > arrows on the upper right. It autosizes.

....where I don't have to open each piece of text and move the box size to the end of the string.
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous

Right. I figured that one out earlier today. That requres individual attention to each piece. I may have 30 pieces of text on a single layout. See how dealing with a large selection of them at once would save large amounts of edit time?
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous

Use the properties dialog to select all Mtext objects, then change the width property of all the mtext to zero.
Message 10 of 14
Anonymous

You the man Allen! That's perfect.
Message 11 of 14
Anonymous

Sometimes there are simpler ways than writing lisp.
Message 12 of 14
Anonymous

I agree with you. I try to keep an open mind to any possible solution, especially the simplest.
Message 13 of 14
Anonymous

Sam,

Attached is what I use. It's fairly well tested, but I still consider it work in
progress.

Personally I don't use the zero width mtext idea, but the program allows for that. It
offers an option to modify such objects, if any are found, or not.

I think it works with background masks, thought that's not something I paid
atttention to.

Joe Burke
Message 14 of 14
Anonymous

That routine works beautifully Joe, and it does keep the background mask when it's already applied. Thank you for posting. Both options seem very useful and either one accomplishes the desired result. Time, I guess will tell which one ends up getting used more; the only factor being how much do I like my box widths being zero. Again, thanks to all for your help.

Sam

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta