Visual LISP, AutoLISP and General Customization
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change text to mtext without changing text location?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
ArchD
1572 Views, 2 Replies

Change text to mtext without changing text location?

I have a topographic map with contour labels in text format. I want to change them to mtext individually without changing their location. I have a lisp routine that lets me change them individually, but the text won't stay in the same place after it converts it.

I have tried various combinations of justification before converting them using the justifytext command. The lisp that I use changes them to be justified top center, so before I convert them, I've tried to set the text to top center so that it would be the same justification as it would after the conversion, but apparently the lisp uses some other method of determining the final position.

Has anyone had this situation and has anyone found a solution?
Archie Dodge
Applications Expert - Infrastructure Solutions Division
IMAGINiT Technologies
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
devitg
in reply to: ArchD

Did you try txt2mtxt , it is a Express tool
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: ArchD

There is no easy fix for this. This happens because regular text and Mtext are referenced differently in their position in relation to their insertion coordinate. Change the justification of a text object and it shifts position around the insertion point. Change the justification of Mtext and it doesn't move at all. Text that is justified top left will shift the least when converted to Mtext. The program that does the conversion would have to apply a different calculation for each of the 14 or so various justifications that text can have. And that would be for just one and only one font. Every font would have a different shift value. And a variable would also be necessary to handle various width factors as well. There is no simple solution to a seemingly simple problem.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report