VBA
Discuss AutoCAD ActiveX and VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) questions here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turning off or freezing a layer in a closed drawing

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
999 Views, 2 Replies

Turning off or freezing a layer in a closed drawing

Hello everyone!

My problem is the following: i have a large drawing in which i have spent last 2 months; last time i used it, i pasted a .TIFF aerial image below all the parcels to compare them. Thing is, that image is very heavy but i did not used an external reference but simply pasted it.

Now, i cant open the drawing because the image is so heavy that AutoCAD freezes. Tryed to freeze the image's layer from acaddoc.lsp but didnt work, now im trying to turn the layer off or freezing it without opening the file.

Can someone gime advice about this?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
norman.yuan
in reply to: Anonymous

Are you sure the freezing of AutoCAD is purely because of the embedded image being to large that causing AutoCAD editor to take too long to visually display it?

It might be easier to find a more powerful CAD computer to try to open it and then turn off/freeze the layer, rather than write code that may not guarantee a "cure" to it. If you inserted/embedded the drawing with a computer, it should be able to open it again, but only takes long time (how long have you have waited it to be opened?).

If you really want to try code approach, you can try ObjectDBX to open drawing as side ObjectDBX document without visibly in AutoCAD, then you can turn layer off, or freeze it. However, I am not sure the super large size would be issue for opening ObjectDBX document (never had to deal with this type of issue), but I can imaging the opening would still take much longer time.

You can search this forum on ObjectDBX, there were quite some discussions on this in the past, but not any more these days.

HTH

Norman Yuan

Drive CAD With Code

EESignature

Message 3 of 3
Ed.Jobe
in reply to: Anonymous

In addition to what Norman mentioned, I thought I would explain the difference in layer status of OFF vs FROZEN since your title suggests that you're not sure which to use. The only real difference is that with frozen status, the layer's entities are not loaded into RAM, but whith OFF, they are still loaded. So freezing the layer meets your intended needs. You wouldn't really see a change with OFF.

Ed

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.
How to post your code.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report