Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault max path length

Vault max path length

At the moment in Vault is hardcoded to use 256 chars as max path length.

By windows 10 there FINALLY! came an option to edit MAX_PATH (that was blocking path length all the time, default is set to 260=256 ;P), changing it in registry from 260 to probably any(?) could resolve my problem but I'm not sure about how it will work in Vault..

But if it is not realizable!

It would be good, if when creating a file path that is too long, a vault error message immediately appears (current number of characters, possible number of characters).

15 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Problem:

When you Copy Design its hard to note if the file path exceeds the maximum character length.

if you fail to notice any are too large you will get an error message when vault is copying the files.

This means you will have to go back and restart the Copy Design from scratch.

Possible Solution:

Can we get a internal check within the copy design.

If you rename a content centre part the file paths changes to Red can we get this to also happen if the file path or file name is too long, this will avoid the error and having to start again.

There is an additional idea that has been suggested 'Vault Copy Design Save Progress' this suggestion could also be a fix to this problem.

I have also commented on this post.

Tags (3)
ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Under Review

The_Angry_Elf
Advisor

How many folder levels in Vault do you have? Can you flatten them?

I typically try to stay at no more than 4 folders deep, especially if my client or employer uses long o descriptive file names.

Do you use a lot of the properties (system generated or user generated)?

Can you shorten up the file name? Maybe use something other than a descriptive name? Especially with Vault, descriptive files names are not needed like they are without Vault.

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

H_MERTENS
Contributor

If you have a file in Vault that you can open, checkout and check back in from your local Workspace and want the Jobprocessor to create a dwf file, the Jobprocessor throws back an error message that the filename and/or path is too long. The Jobprocessor creates a temp path with a userguid. With this foldername the whole path is too long. Maybe the Jobprocessor could use a shorter foldername or better a configurable foldername like Jobid or timestamp.

Tags (4)
ondrazek_c
Contributor

Hello Heiko,

I think the Vault uses the %Temp% folder and you can configure this in the system environment variables. Try to change the Temp-Folder to C:\Temp.

Greatings

Carsten

H_MERTENS
Contributor

Hi Carsten,

I already tried that and the Autodesk Support confirmed that this does not help. The Jobprocessor still creates a folder with a GUID that is very long.

Thanks anyway

Heiko

ErhardKlamminger
Enthusiast

Dear all,

Please handle file/folder paths over 256 characters.

Windows 10 can work with it.

Would be very useful especially with working of Tube&Pipe files.

hatl23_0-1599468461124.png

Thank you

Michael_Noehrer
Contributor
Dear all, Our Company is often facing this issue with Copy Design. It will be really helpful, if this will be implemented as soon as possible. Thanks a lot! BR Michael
r_bubeck
Enthusiast

Es sollten überall Pfadlängen mit deutlich mehr als ca. 250 Zeichen möglich sein.

Ich habe bereits erfolglos folgenden Reg-Eintrag versucht:  (PC & Server)

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem

LongPathsEnabled = 1  (default=0)

Quelle:

https://www.autodesk.de/support/technical/article/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/DEU/The-Windows-10-...

Wenn mir der Job-Prozessor beim Erstellen einer Visualisierung deswegen eine Fehlermeldung gibt und den Job verweigert ist das sehr ärgerlich. Es bedeutet das die komplette Ordnerstruktur eingekürzt werden muss.

Tags (3)
Pbhat_PS
Explorer

where are we on this request. as this also hits an issue on the Job Processer when there is a limitation to 200 characters.

I would like to explore being able to set in properties the Max path length.

ihayesjr
Community Manager
jan.wagnerRB67Z
Participant

My company would also be very interested to have this limitation removed. It is an annoyance for a long time now. Sometimes file path get long especially with standard parts. Not having the jobserver functionality creates lots of manual work.

jan.wagnerRB67Z
Participant

Dear all,

since the 260 character limit has been removed from vault professional it would only make sense to remove this limitation off the job processor as well. Sometime long file path are inevitable and it is annoying to perform actions manually when chaging a state etc.

BR

Tags (5)
ihayesjr
Community Manager

@jan.wagnerRB67Z 

The character limitation has not been removed from Vault Professional.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report