Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault/Inventor Content Center behavior

Vault/Inventor Content Center behavior

I'm not sure if this belongs here or in the Inventor idea Station, so feel free to move it if necessary.

When opening an assembly from Vault, through the Inventor interface, which includes Content Center parts that are in the Vault but not stored locally, Inventor & Vault know to look for those parts in the Vault and download them.  However, if the CC part was published from a derived part (since you cannot publish assemblies), Inventor also wants to have the base assembly that the part was derived from.  Neither Inventor or Vault is "smart" enough to know to look for that base assembly in the Vault, and so Inventor throws up a "Resolve Link" error on that assembly.  The only thing that can be done at this point is to manually locate the assembly in Vault client, and use Get/Checkout to download it to the working folder, and then manually resolve the link in Inventor.

What say you all?

4 Comments
cbenner
Mentor

A bit more info...

I tried modifying the derived part and replacing family template in the Content Center to see if this would prevent Inventor searching for the base assembly.  It destroyed the existing Content Center family, and the part had to be republished.  Starting form scratch, I tried breaking the link before publishing, and this still didn't work.  So I tried a simplified part with the link SUPPRESSED, and so far this has been working.  Further testing will be needed to make sure that when inserting this part from the CC, (while none of it's parents or children are anywhere near my working location), that I can do so without being prompted to resolve the link to a base assembly that is in the Vault.

This may actually end up being an Inventor issue, and if so I shall withdraw this idea and move it over there.  Stay tuned.

Senthil_Kumar
Autodesk

@cbenner Chris,

I think this is similar to https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/vault-ideas/open-from-vault-client-should-download-library-files/idi-.... This is fixed in 2018.1 update. Did you get a chance to test this workflow in 2018.1?

cbenner
Mentor

@Senthil_Kumar

Wow,... I had forgotten about this idea.  I'm still using 2017.  I've been trying to install the latest updates to that but am having issues.  At this point I'm in a holding pattern waiting for 2019 to be released.... make it a good one!

Senthil_Kumar
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

@cbenner Chris, 

Yes we are working hard for a great 2019 release. :

For now I will change this idea to implemented. If you see different behavior we can reopen it. Thanks again

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report