Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault allows the same Inventor part to be adaptive in two different assemblies

Vault allows the same Inventor part to be adaptive in two different assemblies

Hello all,

I am used the fact that Inventor restricts the same Inventor part to be adaptive in two different assemblies which makes a lot of sense.

Unfortunately, by using Copy Design you end with one part being adaptive twice which creates lots of inconvenience for us.

Sadly, Vault cannot understand deeper how the parts are being used in Inventor.

I will describe next our workflow and steps to recreate it; I also attached a screencast recording.

1. What’s happening and why is dangerous for us?

Please watch the recording.

When using Copy Design command, at that moment in time, user1 knows that Mullion would stay the same so no need to create a copy of it.

Later, user2 does a change to the second assembly and then Mullion automatically updates accordingly. This user2 doesn’t have a clue that Mullion is used somewhere else as there is no error displayed.

Then, after a while, if assembly 1 is checked out of vault will trigger Mullion to change again and you don’t even notice… you only see a new version for Mullion.

I don’t even what to think what happens if assembly1 is copied again and Mullion is reused in a third assembly… Would have been nice if Vault could restrict an Inventor adaptive part to be linked to multiple assemblies and being adaptive in all.

My solution for now is to turn off adaptivity of part in the second assembly when noticed… the big problem is that users don’t notice it and issue is discovered later in production.

1. Steps to replicate the issue

I have an Inventor assembly (U1) with two parts, M1 and T1. Part M1 is adaptive based on T1. There are holes in T1 so I projected the centers from T1 in M1 to have them linked.

Use Copy Design to copy assembly U1 to U2; also I copy T1 in T2. M1 is reused by U2.

After copying it, I have U1, U2, T1, T2, M1 in Vault.

I check out U2 back in Inventor; I also check out T2 and increase the number of holes and spacing between them. Inventor prompts me to check out M1 and updates M1 to keep the adaptivity with T2!!!

Last step, I check out U1 and M1 is changing it to keep the relation with T1. Right now, I have both U1 and U2 opened on my screen, both checked out; if I make U2 current on screen and hit update then M1 changes the spacing between holes to adapt after T2. If I make U1 current on screen and hit update then M1 changes the spacing between holes to adapt after T1.

This issue can be replicated it in Vault/Inventor 2016 and 2018.

Looking forward to your feedback and hopefully something changes in the next years…

radu

3 Comments
Markus.Koechl
Autodesk

In short: you are asking for a rule in copy design to reset the adaptivity:

AdaptivelyUsedInAssy.png

Similiar to the rule implemented to remove iLogic rules, right?

RStancescu
Collaborator

That setting removes adaptivity of the part from all assemblies where is used. 

I would like Vault to think deeper so won't allow an ipt from Vault be adaptive in two or more Vault iam's. Something like a notification where Part1.ipt is adaptive and used in multiple assemblies in Vault.

Maybe a setting that we can turn on/off that checks an adaptive part before checking in process and tells me that is used in more than one iam.

Or maybe an adaptive property that I can map to Vault and display what parts are adaptive... then manually check "Where used".

Or during the Copy Design command, Vault to detect an ipt adaptive and block further adaptivity to be applied in other Vault iam's.

radu

RStancescu
Collaborator

I don't see the recording link so here you have it again:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/troubleshooting/caas/screencast/Main/Detail...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report