Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rename Already Used File Names (without breaking links)

Rename Already Used File Names (without breaking links)

I also have a version of this posted in the Inventor Ideas for a fix through Inventor.

My company currently uses Vault for drawing management. As a default setting we maintain the admin setting "Enforce Unique File Names". This saves many issues once files are in Vault; however, sometimes causes issues upon initial check-in of the files. I've experienced recently a problem with someone creating 15-20 frame generated assemblies each using 5+ parts. Do to the fact that they each get created, by default, with the same or similar file names, trying to check these files in is not always possible. Renaming through file explorer causes a huge headache in making sure all links are maintained and not broken in each assembly.

Having the ability to do a force rename during check-in where vault would save a temporary version to maintain links, would be nice.

1 Comment
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous

+1 for the idea. This would be a convenient feature if implemented.

As a workaround for your frame members, have you tried using a numbering scheme? Since I am not fully aware of the naming conventions you use, this might not be a workaround that you can use but I just wanted to share some pictures of how a numbering scheme could be used for frame members.

fame.PNG2.PNG3.PNG4.PNG5.PNG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report