Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purge unconditionally - Option

Purge unconditionally - Option

In Vault there is a limitation how we can purge file versions.

Files which do have references to other files are not able to purge, till this reference version is purged too.
For files within large assembly structure it's a pain to follow all those reference to the end. To get more flexibility on purge process, please give me an additional option in the dialog...
>>>Ignore File-Reference (Purge unconditionally)

3 Comments
ihayesjr
Community Manager

Why would you want to purge files that are used in assemblies you don't want to purge?

What happens to those assemblies with missing files?

grzjoh18
Advocate
Hello Irvin,
Our server administrator runs a validation and get a list of errors! The outcome of my crosscheck is, that the most of those files are "missing from the file store".
We do not know, why those files are missing from file store or why we do have files with size 0 in Vault. I hope we can purge the most of those files automatically.
The manually rework is only to check files what happens and to clean up our Vault outside our purge cycle.

Q: Why would you want to purge files that are used in assemblies you don't want to purge?
Some files are linked deep in assemblies and I would not search all references first. Of course if the top or sub-assembly can be purged we will do it acc. our settings and rules.
Q: What happens to those assemblies with missing files?
>98% of the files do have more than 1 versions in Vault. If we came to the point that one assembly is referencing to an file we have purged acc. "missing from file store", I think we can use one of the previous or a next file versions?
I know, if this assembly/drawing is a released version, we cannot rebuilt this assembly by 100%. However, this file version is missing and I can not bring it back, files partly from year 2015 or less.
Thanks Irvin for asking me, if you have other ideas how we can handle this issue, please let me know!
Thanks in advance
Johann
ihayesjr
Community Manager

@grzjoh18 while I understand your purge request, your admin needs to really find out what is going on with the file store. You could be losing valuable models that might be difficult to recreate. Purge should not be the solution to address the file store issue.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report