Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prompt before moving file to another folder

Prompt before moving file to another folder

I run into this almost daily. Someone accidentally moves a file to another folder in the Vault. We should always be prompted if you really want to move the file or not.

14 Comments
Gene.R
Advocate

sometimes files get inadvertently moved, I would like a command under the edit menu to allow Undo Move.

guerra.romain
Explorer

Same problem for me!

But most of the time I don't even realise I'm moving a file.

It could be nice to have an alert message like: "Are you sure you want to move this file?"

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Accepted

gary.belisle
Advocate

ihayesjr,

Not sure why the status is "Comments Requested". But to be clear, my post is based off using Vault Pro 2013 Sevice Pack 1. Haven't moved to 2014 yet.

kprom
Enthusiast

In vault you can drag and drop a folder into another folder very easily. So easily that it happens a lot on accident. Unfortunately this command starts instantly and proceeds to happen whether you want it to or not. You are stuck waiting, sometimes for a long time, for the command to error out or complete, then you have to fix it. It would be tremendously helpful to have a "are you sure" dialog or at least a cancel button to help with this.

thanks.

Tags (3)
gary.belisle
Advocate

This is how I would prefer to see this implemented. As a checkbox option. That way an Admin can override it.

FileMove.jpg

tmoney2007
Collaborator

Please yes on this,... or at the very least enable undo for file moves. 

In this particular area, windows file explorer is better than vault...

RPdAnjou
Enthusiast

I really think that "files in folders" is a very old concept and should be banned from Vault.

Why not uses Vault as a database, it surely has one 😉

The user should not be bothered with the hassle of making sure the file is in the right folder, this is a file system issue, this should not be a problem in a database!

Instead make it possible to link the file to multiple projects/folders/labels/whatever (just like labels in gmail) and do not show the user where the file is actually stored.

And if you're one it, implement a classification system to make it easy as hell to find files and items.

Little hint Autodesk, take a look at your own end of life product "Productstream", incorporate a bit of that philosophy into Vault and reintroduce the perfect engineering workflow!

YounesYammouri
Community Manager

The product development team is considering the feedback of the community and have implemented some of this feedback in the development pipeline. You are encouraged to join the Autodesk Vault beta program to get a view into what’s being implemented. We appreciate your feedback.

Thanks 

Younes Yammouri

Autodesk Vault Product Manager

YounesYammouri
Community Manager
Status changed to: Implemented

This request has been implemented in Autodesk Vault 2016. Now the user get a prompt message (optionally) whether he want to move the files or folders to a different folder or not also a tooltip has been implemented to indicate the action happening on the file or folder whether it is a move or create link.

The message prompt can be controlled within the Options dialog "Configure Prompts".

B.Rawling
Enthusiast

Relying on users to change this setting is just asking for problems and misplaced files ......

Can you please explain why the default for this is set to "Never prompt" with a default Response of "yes"?

This is the equivalent of not implementing the feature i.e. the files are moved if dragged and dropped by mistake without a chance to cancel ?

At the very least it should be an admin function to control the setting for all clients.

please make the default settings "Always prompt"

prashanth_s1997
Contributor

@YounesYammouri 

Can someone please tell me where can I find the setting to select "prompt before moving files" in Autodesk vault 2019 ?

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

We did not solve this idea so I am re-opening it.

B.Rawling
Enthusiast
Thank you for reopening the idea, hopefully Autodesk will include this at some point , its been a while?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report