Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prevent mass download / limit number of files that can be downloaded in one time

Prevent mass download / limit number of files that can be downloaded in one time

Secure the Vault so nobody can 'Get' all the files in Vault over 1 time.

Current it is not possible to limit the number of files that can be downloaded from the Vault Server in one time.

7 Comments
ihayesjr
Community Manager

Thank you for posting the idea. Why do you want to limit the number of files that can be downloaded at one time? What problem are you trying to solve?

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Under Review

maarten.clerinx
Explorer

There was an internal risk management meeting, where all the applications/services are analysed for mass download protection to avoid intellectual property 'mass download' by 1 attacker.

How can we avoid that an attacker is downloading the complete Vault with 1 GET?

RajSchmidt
Advisor

You could at least prevent the download of the whole filestore. (Or tie it to certain rights/roles.) You already recognise that event since I get a warning message if I initiate a download while standing on the root folder ($).

As for other areas: I would not limit the actual number of files to download. What happens if the user runs into a really huge assembly?

Maybe it would make sense to introduce an additional right for downloading a whole folder? Sure, I can still go into it, select all and download. But it would increase the wall a bit.

Another thing could be to disable the download if there are multiple folders selected.

marina.collet
Advocate

I would rather have a (built in) tool to analyse the files downloaded (who, what, when).

This tool could rise warnings if the number of files downloaded is above a certain limit.

If properly monitored, this should allow administrators to react quickly.

RajSchmidt
Advisor

Hi Marina,

you already have that tool (kind of): https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/vault-products/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/H...

However, you should watch out for certain privacy issues of the users if you employ this. (At least that's the case here in Germany.)

Regards

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report