Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening many files at once

Opening many files at once

In file Explorer, or in a search result, I'd like to have the ability to open more than one file at a time. 

At least, let me create multiple shortcuts, to open it faster from Inventor.
2018-04-10_16-05-01.png

30 Comments
pietro.granata
Community Visitor

Sarebbe ottimale avere la possibilità di selezionare i file dipendenti di un assieme, sia ipt che idw corrispondente, in particolare perché per il comando " archivia " già esiste questa opzione :

pietrogranata_0-1632214252453.png

si tratta semplicemente di attivarla anche sul comando  " Apri file " 

SER4
Collaborator

@ihayesjr, because what if they're NOT inventor files (e.g. selecting multiple PDF's and wanting to open them all up).

Moreover, I like to use the Vault Thick Client as my 'browser', i.e. as a Windows Explorer replacement.  Vault is very handy at sorting and filtering and searching.

Actually, you've already seen this comment here: Ideas.../8400977.

Here is a duplicate idea: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/vault-ideas/multiple-open-files/idi-p/9080615Ideas.../4459665 , 

Also related archived: Ideas..../5890028.  (Old: Forums..../1772550).

*And here is another duplicate with even more votes:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/vault-ideas/opening-many-files-at-once/idi-p/7921396

SER4
Collaborator

See also my comment here:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/vault-ideas/open-multiple-drawings-parts-at-once/idc-p/11736932/highl...

Basically whenever I'm "looking" for a file(s) / items (of whatever file extension type), I default to searching in the Vault Thick Client.

ihayesjr
Community Manager

@SER4 

Thank you for your feedback and for finding the duplicates. I will merge the duplicate ideas into one and add up all the votes.

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

cstarker6VCG4
Advocate

Please add this feature. It is regular practice to check all (or at least most) assemblies in the Where Used tab when modifying a part to ensure compatibility with existing designs. This feature should have been present on day one, frankly. Even File Explorer can do this.

Frederick_Law
Mentor

@ihayesjr 

Thank you for posting the idea. This capability is already in the Open from Vault dialog inside of Inventor. Why not perform this workflow there?

Because we can search "used" and "where used" in Vault.

Also other search criteria.

Beside Open, multiple Insert in CAD would be great.

erikemory6943
Contributor

Currently when selecting multiple files in the vault the "Open" option is greyed out. Having the ability to open selected files at once instead of individuality has some advantages. The majority of engineers considered this not very efficient for them to quickly access files for swift assessment of designs. Unless there's another alternative to achieve this action.

-Thanks

pietro.granata
Community Visitor

Currently when selecting multiple files in the vault the "Open" option is greyed out. Having the ability to open selected files at once instead of individuality has some advantages.

for the workflow it would be very convenient, if we could select and open multiple drawings / parts at once.
The subsequent dialog box for checking out parts, would apply to all selected ones.
It could save us a lot of time.

Would be very happy, if you could add this feature, in the near future.

cstarker6VCG4
Advocate

Please add this, it's been years and people keep asking.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report