Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item ownership in replicated environments prevents re-use

Item ownership in replicated environments prevents re-use

We just implemented workgroup replication for our overseas subsidiaries. We have been using items in Vault form the start in 2012 and heavily rely on those for a lot of processes (Vault-ERP integration, manufacturing, quality documents linking etc.).

Our output usually is more than 200 items a day.

Now we start facing issues caused by the ownership design in replicated environments. One issue is, that if you update an item, the ownership of all child items is transferred to the workgroup that tries to update the parent item. This is a killer for re-use. Some of our bolts and nuts are used in thousands of designs. Their items are released and typically do not change a lot.

Even if a user is not even allowed to modify the items of these bolts and nuts, whenever a assembly is released which contains one of these items in the BOM, the item ownership will be transferred. That means ownership likely will be passed for these items all the time between the different workgroups.

I foresee that this will impact us a lot, because people will start seeing error 370 and 321 all the time.

My idea is:

If someone does not have priviledges to modify an item, leave the ownership where it is when updating parent items.

6 Comments
ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Under Review

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

YounesYammouri
Community Manager
Status changed to: Accepted

Senthil_Kumar
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

We have implemented this in Vault 2020.1 Update.

gilsdorf_e
Collaborator

Okay, I just had the chance to test it. From a developer point of view, it's done.

From a users view, halfway done. For the linked files, the ownership is still transferred. 🙄

gilsdorf_e
Collaborator

All voters for this thread should also like this one here from @thomas_jamnik for a full solution

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/vault-ideas/avoid-to-transfer-file-ownerhiop-of-an-iam-from-an-zstd-i...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report