Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combine Change Category/State/Revision Dialogs

Combine Change Category/State/Revision Dialogs

Please combine the Change Category, Change Revision, and Change State dialogs into one dialog, or stop having these steps create new versions of my parts/assemblies, or allow me to overwrite versions (not released revisions) in the Vault.

Let's say I have to redraw a part in Inventor that already existed in AutoCAD. The existing AutoCAD drawing already has it as Revision 7. OK, make the part and related drawing file and add them to the Vault. So now we have a brand new "Base" category part and drawing in the Vault (Version 1).

Now I have to Change Category (creating Vault file Version 2), Change Vault Revision to match my CAD Rev of 7 (creating Vault file Version 3), and finally Change State to released (creating Vault file Version 4). So basically, the Vault has created/stored at four digital copies each of the part and drawing files, db records, and anything else related (DWFs, etc.), meanwhile nothing actually happened to my original part and drawing from Vault file version 1, other than Vault Pro busywork.

I know hard drive space is cheap these days but this is just an inefficient workflow (which I'm finding is typical for most Vault Pro things since upgrading from Vault Basic).  At any rate, it just seems ridiculous to me that we can't do all of these file actions in one dialog and end up with the original Vaulted version and the final released version.

-Dan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea