Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault Data Connector and BIM360 Sync

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
tschaeferZNBXX
595 Views, 15 Replies

Vault Data Connector and BIM360 Sync

Currently you must have full admin rights to set up a new sync with BIM360 using the Data Connector.  It would be nice to allow users that do not have full admin rights to set these collaborations up to ensure nothing is mistakenly changed.  

I feel like the entire collaboration between Vault and BIM360 needs to be looked at especially with the push to move to ACC.  Having to set these up one at a time for each project is very time consuming depending on the number of projects you may have.  You should be able to set up a template and logic that will look at BIM360 and Vault for a project to begin the sync.  This is especially concerning when both Vault and BIM360 folder structure is standardized but you cannot set it up to follow the logic for each project.

Thomas "Matt" Schaefer
Engineering Tooling and Vault Manager for Material Handling Systems MHS

*AU Speaker 2018*
* AU Speaker 2017 *
==========================================================
Please use the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums.
Labels (1)
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
ihayesjr
in reply to: tschaeferZNBXX

@tschaeferZNBXX 

Thanks for posting the Idea.

You do not need full administrator permissions to setup Project Sync. You can have the Configuration Administrator role and setup Project Sync. Or, you can create a custom role with the correct permissions to setup Project Sync.

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Vault - Under the Hood Blog
Message 3 of 16

@ihayesjr

Can you please tell me what permissions are needed then?  I cannot seem to find the right combination.

Thomas "Matt" Schaefer

*AU Speaker 2018*
* AU Speaker 2017 *
Please use the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums.
Message 4 of 16
ihayesjr

@tschaeferZNBXX 

Look at the out-of-the-box Configuration Administrator role.

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 16

@ihayesjr 

No luck.

It allows you to get through setting everything up but when you try to Apply user gets a 303 error.

This sync could be very powerful but there is a lot of admin setup that would need to be done for all folders that you want to sync.  If you are not doing many projects that may be acceptable but when you do 100+ projects a year setting these up for each is very time consuming.

Could we maybe get something in the right click context menu to start sync?  This would be of course after the initial sync rules have been defined.  It would be great if an admin could set up the rules to follow and allow any user to start the sync based off what the admin has set up.

Thomas "Matt" Schaefer

*AU Speaker 2018*
* AU Speaker 2017 *
Message 6 of 16
ihayesjr

@tschaeferZNBXX 

What version of Vault are you using?

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 16
ihayesjr

I am not having any issues using Vault 2023 and a user with the Configuration Administrator role.

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 16
ihayesjr

By the way, if the folder is already setup to sync, the user can select a file and in the menu File -> Upload to Cloud Drive.

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 16

In Vault 2022 the permission is called "Vault Set Options", but then your users with this will also be able to affect your Lifecycle definitions, etc. You can make a custom role that takes this individual permission instead of assigning the user with a broader Config. Administrator role.

Edit: @tschaeferZNBXX go to Tools > Administration > Global Settings > Manage Roles > New Role > scroll to the bottom and ADD "Vault Set Options". Save it however you'd like, then assign this to your user/group.

Message 10 of 16
ihayesjr
in reply to: Gabriel_Watson

The settings in the Vault Settings tab are all or nothing. There are not permissions for each setting. The user needs the Configuration Administrator role to do this task.

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 11 of 16
ihayesjr

After you gave the user the config role, did the log out and back into Vault?

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 12 of 16
Gabriel_Watson
in reply to: ihayesjr

Is there any reduced combination of permissions that would allow a user to create and save a new folder sync? Vault Set Options allows us to get there to the menu and create one, but not save it.
Message 13 of 16

@ihayesjr  - We are using Vault 2021 Pro right now.  Will be upgrading to 2023 soon.  

I am really concerned that it is all or nothing with this as now I have to give a user that may accidently change a admin setting unexpectedly.  This is pretty concerning because if they mess with properties and mapping it will reindex the SQL server.  That could cause us a major slow down for users (approx 700) and our Vault is fairly large (17TB roughly).

Could there not be an out of the box role for VDC admins that could control this?

Thomas "Matt" Schaefer

*AU Speaker 2018*
* AU Speaker 2017 *
Message 14 of 16
ihayesjr

@tschaeferZNBXX 

I think I am wrong for the "All or nothing statement".

You may be able to do this by creating a custom Role and removing permissions you find in the Configuration Administrator role.

However, the user will need more than just the Configuration Administrator role. They will also need at least a Document Editor role.

Another hint into customized roles. Any time you see a "Set" and a corresponding "Get" permission. You will need both permissions. You can't "Set" what you can't "Get".

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 15 of 16
tschaeferZNBXX
in reply to: ihayesjr

Thank you Irvin.

I will test that and see what comes from it.  My biggest concern is users changing things they are not aware they are that are not Vault admins.  It could really mess up lifecycles, permissions, properties, etc. 

Thomas "Matt" Schaefer

*AU Speaker 2018*
* AU Speaker 2017 *
Message 16 of 16

Please vote for this idea:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/vault-ideas/new-role-for-cloud-drive-sync/idi-p/11516305

The minimum permissions I found (through much back-and-forth testing) for a custom role to allow your users to add cloud drive mappings are these:

Galaxybane_0-1666989828663.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report