Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault Changing Rev Numbers or Missing The Rev Number iProperty Entirely

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
jones49J73
1388 Views, 5 Replies

Vault Changing Rev Numbers or Missing The Rev Number iProperty Entirely

There are 2 issues that may be related.  Both issues started in early June, 2020, and affect hundreds of files of different types from multiple users.  We are using Inventor Professional 2020.2 and Vault Workgroup 2020

Issue #1: Vault changes Rev numbers on its own.

Here was my test.

1. Check out a drawing with REV# = "01"
2. Change REV# from 01 to 02, and modify other iproperties.
3. Save, Check in.
4. In Vault, I do a new search of that drawing, and the latest version confirms that it was checked in just seconds ago, but the REV# is 01. In fact, all of the REV#s for all of the versions are 01, despite me changing it to 02 several times. However, other iproperty modifications were correctly saved in Vault. The part that this drawing references does not have this issues. So the error is happening to THIS drawing (and a few others), and is happening when the drawing is checked in.
5. Open my local copy of the drawing, which shows REV = 02.

6. Check out that file, and I get the error below. If I click YES, 02 becomes 01 to match the incorrect values in Vault.  It does not tell me the rev number has changed.  If I click NO, my local copy stays at 02, and Vault still stays at 01, incorrectly.

jones49J73_0-1599583549393.png

Issue #2: Rev Number (as well as Date Created) iProperty is completely missing.
Some files are entirely missing the Rev Number iproperty.  Some files are missing the Date Created iproperty.  Usually a file missing one is missing the other too.  When checking out the file, I get the same error as above, but no Rev Number is ever saved to Vault.  The picture below shows the user defined iProperties as viewed in Vault's side bar.  The group of columns on the left are from an unaffected part that still has a Rev Number.  The columns on the right are missing Rev Number entirely. 

jones49J73_1-1599583896759.png

Labels (2)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
ihayesjr
in reply to: jones49J73

First I am assuming you are using Vault Professional.

Issue #1

You need to check your property mapping to make sure that it set to bi-directional and make sure that the System Property "Revision" is not mapped to the same iProperty (if you are using Vault Professional). 

ihayesjr_0-1599585163410.png

Issue #2

In the property mapping, make sure that the Create option is set to Yes and make sure the property is assigned to the category that the file is assigned to.

ihayesjr_1-1599585243478.png

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Vault - Under the Hood Blog
Message 3 of 6
jones49J73
in reply to: ihayesjr

We began having this error the day we switched to using Vault Workgroup 2020 (build 25.0.66.0), which we are still using today.  Vault's primary function is to save our data.  As such, I've never considered that Vault would rename a filename, change a creation date, edit a rev number, remove an iproperty, or modify the data within a file in any other way.  Are you saying that this is not the case?  Is your suggested solution only applicable to Vault Professional?

I did eventually find that setting you mentioned in Vault Workgroup by selecting TOOLS, ADMINISTRATION, VAULT SETTINGS, the BEHAVIORS tab, and clicking PROPERTIES.  From there I see a list of properties, so I'm guessing that I select REV NUMBER, select EDIT, and select the MAPPING tab.  When I navigated there, I see that the mapping is already bi-directional and create is YES for Inventor.  I don't see the word "category" anywhere.  What does "the category that the file is assigned to" mean?

jones49J73_2-1599606822499.png

Any suggestions specific to Vault Workgroup?

Message 4 of 6
smilinger

You need to check the mapping of the Revision property (not Rev Number), and remove the mapping between the two if any.

I see that you are still managing revisions manually instead of leveraging the ability of Vault Workgroup to manage revisions automatically. I guess you are switching from Vault Basic to Vault Workgroup recently.

In vault workgroup/professional, we often manage revisions by lifecycle states and revisions, we will not edit the "Rev Number" property manually. See a former post for more information:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/vault-forum/rev-number-and-revision-columns-in-vault-pro/m-p/5951507#...

Message 5 of 6
CGBenner

@jones49J73 

Setting up Vault can be very complicated the first few times you start digging into things.  I did a class a few years ago, pretty basic, about Vault Configuration.  We attempted to at least show and define some of these concepts and the tools that go with them.  No way to cover all of the possible permutations of Vault setup, because they vary from company to company.  But, take a look, and maybe some of the terminology and menus will start to lead you where you want to go.  Or maybe, at least, give you an idea of what other questions you may want to ask.

We're here for ya!  Good luck!

Chris Benner
Industry Community Manager – Design & Manufacturing

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Also be generous with Likes!  Thank you and enjoy!

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider
Inventor/Beta Feedback Project
Message 6 of 6
jones49J73
in reply to: smilinger

Our problem began the day we switched from Vault Basic to Vault Workgroup because Vault Workgroup had different default settings for the Rev Number and Date File Created properties than for the other commonly used properties like Title and Part Number.  We assumed that an upgrade from Vault Basic to Vault Workgroup would mean that we had at least the same functionality as we did with Vault Basic by default, but this was not the case, and it is irresponsible of Autodesk to have such defaults.  We'll now have to go through and correct months of documentation.  That said, it's easy to fix...

1. Open Vault Workgroup and login with an admin account.

2. Click TOOLS, ADMINISTRATION, VAULT SETTINGS, then click the BEHAVIORS tab.

3. Click PROPERTIES about half way down and you should see something similar to what's below.

4. Select REV NUMBER to highlight it

5. Click the EDIT button on the top.

6. Click the bar next to ASSOCIATIONS and click to add check marks next to Base, Engineering, and Standard.

7. Repeat steps 4, 5 and 6 for the DATE FILE CREATED property.

That's it.  Vault no longer changes the REV NUMBER on its own, so set it to whatever you want and check it in and Vault Workgroup will work just like Vault Basic did.  For any files missing these properties, the properties will show up the next time you check in the file.

jones49J73_0-1599668102176.png

I recommend reading @smilinger 's admittedly long-winded explanation, which gave me a few vocabulary words, and helped me understand what Vault Workgroup was capable of, which eventually led me to the solution above:
https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/vault-forum/rev-number-and-revision-columns-in-vault-pro/m-p/5951507

Differences between types of Vaults:  https://www.autodesk.com/compare/compare-features/vault

Useful if you'd like to utilize "Revision" as more than just "rev number":
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/vault-products/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/A...

We found that the mapping was already bidirectional, but if not, see the comment from @ihayesjr , above.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report