Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

numbering scheme

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
RStancescu
405 Views, 9 Replies

numbering scheme

Hello all,

I'm trying to setup a numbering scheme to be used in copy design. It should be like ABC01-1001 and then increment to ABC01-1002 and so. Then I will have another one ABC02-1001 and increment to ABC02-1002 and so.

After much testing I think I cannot do it in Vault, without Data Standard, is that right?

Can I use autogenerated, pre defined list, fixed text, etc options to create it?

I've never used and implemented Data Standard. 

Thank you for your help.

radu

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
johannes.bauer
in reply to: RStancescu

Hi Radu, are you talking about different numbering schemes, or sub assemblies applying the same numbering schemes? if the later, I also do not think you can do this easily.

Maybe you can provide a mockup what you expect.

HTH
-Johannes

Customer Technical Success
Message 3 of 10
ihayesjr

@RStancescu 

Yes, you can create this scheme, but how complicated you want it to be will depend on whether you need to use the Data Standard.

Your scheme could consist of a fixed "ABC," a generated "##", a fixed "-" delimiter, and a generated "####".

The first set of numbers, after "ABC," could also be a fixed list.  

It all depends on how you expect it to work.

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Vault - Under the Hood Blog
Message 4 of 10
RStancescu
in reply to: ihayesjr

Thank you both for your responses.

I have a Vault folder, named ABC.

In the folder, I need files to be named ABC01-1001 with 1001 auto generated. When people create files in that folder using copy design, Vault to automatically increment the numbers based on what last number is in that folder (1001, 1002, 1003, etc). I just cannot figure out how to create the scheme with fixed ABC- and then auto generated number. What option should I use when creating one?

Thank you

radu

@johannes.bauer 

Message 5 of 10
ihayesjr

@RStancescu 

First, let me ensure you are clear on what the 100# autogenerated numbers will do.

The number will not increment based on what is used in that folder. If someone uses that scheme with a file in a different folder, the number will continue to increase. The last number used is stored in the database and is not based on existing file names.

Second, the ABC## will not increase until you have used all secondary autogenerated numbers.

For example, ABC01 will continue to be used until you use ABC01-1001 to ABC01-9999. Once you hit the secondary numbers' top value, it will switch to ABC02.

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 10
RStancescu

Hi Irvin,

Great info about where the incremented numbers are stored, in the database, I didnt know about it.

Regarding ABC01-1001, I'm fine with that, it is what I want to do it, to increment towards ABC01-9999.

How can I set it up?

Thank you 

radu

Message 7 of 10
ihayesjr

@RStancescu 

Sorry, but I just realized you can only have one set of Auto-generated numbers in the scheme.

You will have to make "ABC01" fixed text or a pre-defined list.

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 10
RStancescu

No problem, that doesnt hurt.

How can I set it up with a fixed text (ABC01-) and auto generating number in the same numbering scheme? I cannot figure it out. 

I'm not using Data Standard. 

Thank you

radu

Message 9 of 10
ihayesjr

Message 10 of 10
RStancescu

I was able to create the numbering scheme I needed and learnt much more about it. Autodesk support helped with it and more. See attached an example that I was looking to implement, I didn't know that you can create multiple fields in one scheme, it doesn't say anywhere in Help. Also, in Help it shows about Custom Scheme; everything you do is a custom, "Sequential" is the default. Helps shows about The Centralized Number Generator; this only existed in Vault 2020.

The “Custom Numbering Provider” is not in Vault out of the box. This must be created using Vault SDK. And simple number generator is the default that comes with Vault.
If anyone needs more help with numbering scheme, you can contact me now, I learnt a lot about it. Unfortunately, I don't think I will implement it as there are a few small issues that I cannot pass it.

radu

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report