Technical Art
Technical Art as a discipline has grown from the crafting of simple scripts in Max or Maya to the creation of full art processing pipelines. Now technical artists are expected to create data translators, procedural art generation tools, code shaders, and maintain data archives, among other things. This forum is a place where technical artists can meet to discuss any and all issues, ideas, or insights they might have so that others can help and learn from them.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to create a 3D model of a coin

0 REPLIES 0
Message 1 of 1
SurveyorJeff
721 Views, 0 Replies

Trying to create a 3D model of a coin

Hello all,

I have recently found an old aluminum token with a metal detector. Yeah, I know... nerd hobby. It was highly corroded and has some damage. I have had it professionally cleaned and I have a scan of the token. I have put that scan into my Civil 3D and have traced the token and wording. I have added the missing lettering and have what I believe to be a 2D image of the original coin in all its glory. What I want to do is make a 3D image or model of this so I can get either, a few 3D printed or a stamped replicas. I am going to make some framed plaques with the colorful history of this particular early Utah Saloon with two of the tokens attached to it so that both sides show. 

I have mirrored the one side so when flipped it will match up. My problem is that I can probably figure a way to do this if I treat this like a minutre topo job or something likewise that I know how to do, and create a surface for it, but It will be quite time consuming for me and I don't know the software well enough to rotate my views so that I can see and work to flip the one image down, pull them apart the required thickness, connect them with a surface, and then raise the text and other stamping.

I am looking for some advice on how to achieve this or better yet, someone who can take my 2D cad file and turn it into a 3D file. I'd be willing to pay a small fee for this as this will take me hours to accompish and I am already spending too much time on this little piece of history. I can provide a "to scale" 2d cad file or a multitude of other files.

Thanks in advance,

SurveyorJeff

0 REPLIES 0

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report