Stingray Forum (Read Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Stingray Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Stingray topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Render Quality

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
1389 Views, 5 Replies

Render Quality

Hi,

how do I adjust render quality?  Moving objects have poor antialiasing, but when they come to a rest the AA quality increases.  A still image looks great, but moving objects or camera are poor.   I have a light scene, and need to up the quality for movement.

Thanks

Dave. 

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
dan.matlack
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Dave,

The level settings are in the environment entity.

rendering.JPG

You can start there. There is also the render.render_config file located here: install dir .. \Stingray\xxxx\core\stingray_renderer\renderer.render_config

You can adjust other settings there as well, such as set fxaa_enabled = true and taa_enabled = false ...

You can copy this file to your project and point to it with the settings.ini in root so that you can have project specific render settings. Let me know if those adjustments help you out!

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: dan.matlack

HI,

changing the ini file allows me to switch AA on or off, but with it on, is this as high as it will go?

Also there is a strange shift in geometry when a camera comes to a stop, this is on static geo, and seems to move sightly when AA increases after the camera stops.

I am testing all this to see if stingray may be suitable for interactive motion graphics, and not a game as such.

Also I cant get full screen to work, it just locks up.

Also, can stingray play an avi, or any movie format?  Could this be implemented with dev kit?

Dave.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

Stingray's built-in rendering pipeline uses deferred shading. The classic standard method of antialiasing used in realtime graphics, MSAA, does not work very efficiently in a deferred rendering pipeline. Additionally, MSAA only reduces aliasing on the edges of polygons, and physically-based rendering such as the kind used in Stingray can have aliasing from many other types of sources, for example, specular aliasing on shiny surfaces. MSAA will not help with that.

Stingray uses a variation of temporal anti-aliasing (TAA or just temporal anti-aliasing). It takes pixels rendered from one frame and re-uses them in future frames. It can do this because it tracks the movement of all objects in the game world. Additionally, the viewport is always being moved around in a sub-pixel pattern. It's a bit like rendering at a high resolution and then scaling the image down to reduce aliasing, but spread out over time. Temporal anti-aliasing reduces specular aliasing as well as geometric aliasing.

The major drawback of this technique is that if things are moving across the screen quickly, you have to throw away old pixels more quickly, otherwise everything becomes a blurry mess. The good news is that you tend to notice aliasing less when things are moving. But it's still a tradeoff.

Most modern game engines use this technique to some extent. Unreal Engine 4 relies solely on temporal anti-aliasing for all of its antialiasing (on desktop and console, not mobile). CryEngine uses a combination of SMAA (pattern recognition post-process) and temporal anti-aliasing. Unity, for example, doesn't have any anti-aliasing apart from post-process FXAA/SMAA1x unless you are using the forward rendering path with a gamma buffer (no HDR, because MSAA requires special treatment to work with HDR, and Unity doesn't support that.)

In theory Stingray supports being reconfigured to use a forward rendering pipeline, in which case TAA could feasibly be combined with MSAA to produce better geometric anti-aliasing during movement. However, it doesn't ship with support for this. I'm hoping it will in the future 🙂

Message 5 of 6
greniej

Hi andrichards, 

If you want you can try to customize the taa shader to better fit your needs. There are a few defines that controls the amount of aliasing that is kept when the scene is moving (over-bluriness is usually a big complaint with taa so we are trying to find a just middle for now). Here are the defines you might be interested in. They all live in post_processing.shader_source:

#define TAA_MAX_HISTORY_DIFFERENCE 0.5
#define TAA_ANTIBLURINESS_MIN 0.125
#define TAA_ANTIBLURINESS_MAX 0.375
#define TAA_ANTIBLURINESS_VELOCITY_SCALAR 0.1

Cheers!

Jp

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: greniej

Ah, that's great to know! Thank you very much.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report