Stingray Forum (Read Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Stingray Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Stingray topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't select imported FBX assets in 3ds Max interactive

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
august.murdock
2535 Views, 9 Replies

Can't select imported FBX assets in 3ds Max interactive

Recently I've been experimenting with 3ds Max interactive as a means of making campus-sized, explorable VR models. The main issue that I've run into, however, is that when trying to load in fbx files of buildings I can't do anything with them in the viewport after loading them in. I bring in the FBX, it shows up in the asset browser, and drag the unit file up into the viewport where it lets me place the asset. The model appears in the viewport but not in the explorer and I can't select or move the placed model in any way. When running a test level the model doesn't appear. For reference, the model in question is the one labeled "Enid Woodring GE test". It's original FBX file is 68MB which I was hoping would be small enough for a program that is supposed to be able to handle Revit models, which this one is. example 1.JPGexample 2.JPG

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Hi @august.murdock 

Thanks for bringing your question to the forums! I'm curious if you have tried to import this same file as an OBJ to the same result? 

I would love to test your file on my end, is there any way you could either Zip the model up, or send me a filesharing link via private message so I can test?

I would recommend testing a smaller file to narrow down the cause. I have attached an exported FBX of my own for you to import. Here is a screenshot of the house in my scene. 

Screenshot (456).png

Do you have access to 3ds Max or Maya? If so, it may be worth opening the model and converting it to a poly object and re-export the FBX or OBJ file.

Hope we can resolve this issue together 😄

Hagen Deloss
Community Manager | Media & Entertainment
Installation & Licensing forums | Contact product support | Autodesk AREA

Message 3 of 10

@august.murdock 

Any ideas or questions on my previous post? It would be helpful if you had time to give an update, that way other Community Members can benefit from your process 😄

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question.

Hagen Deloss

Message 4 of 10

@hagen.deloss 

1) OBJ Files: It would appear that 3ds Max interactive does not support OBJ file imports (unless I'm completely blind or have some weird version of Interactive that doesn't work with OBJs). The OBJ file type was not available for selection when importing assets.

2) Exporters: I have regular 3ds max 2019. I have exported it through Revit's FBX exporter, rexported it through 3ds max's basic FBX exporter, and rexported it through the game exporter on 3ds max 2019. The smallest iteration was 27 MB coming directly from Revit. All have the same issue.

3) Test files: I was able to bring in your house. I'd actually been able to load in and interact with a model when I first submitted this question. You can see it in the list of assets in one of the pictures labeled "devon tower test GE". However, that one is just a sketchup model. It's completely hollow with a comparatively low amount of detail, especially if viewed up close like it would be in VR. 
4) Conversion to Poly object: After converting it in 3ds max from an editable mesh to a 3d poly object and reexporting  the model continued to have the same problem. Poly object FBX file ended up being about 46MB.

Message 5 of 10

Hi @august.murdock 

I got the model you sent, and it looks like when I export it as an OBJ, I get a warning due to "rat nests" on the model, which means there are overlapping faces and vertices within the model.

The reasoning behind exporting as an OBJ is that OBJ strips away potential animation track issues, and possible unused texture nodes. After exporting as an OBJ, I would normally suggest opening it in 3ds Max again, and re-exporting the model as an FBX to be brought into Max Interactive. This process Won't work in this situation, as the issue is with the objects themselves.

rats_nest.png

In this case, I would say that the overlapping geometry is causing the issue within 3ds Max Interactive. I would suggest cleaning up the mesh using modeling tools within 3ds Max.

lotsofoverlappingfaces.png

I used the [check for overlapping vertices] tool to determine that this model has an outstanding amount of overlapping faces, it would take a lot of work to clean up this mesh and import it into Max Interactive with any success.

To resolve this issue I would suggest doing the following.

1. Convert all objects in the scene to an editable poly
  2. Navigate to the Vertex subobject mode in the command panel
  3. Select all vertices
  4. Navigate to the Edit Vertices dropdown
  5. Open the Weld Tool caddy
  6. Input the tolerance to .1
  7. Run the tool

If there is any portion of this workflow that doesn't work, or that I can help clarify, let me know!

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question.

Hagen Deloss

Message 6 of 10

So it seems that the overlapping/intersecting faces are the most likely cause of the problem. I went through the workflow you posted. I applied the "Vertex Weld" modifier to all of the objects instead of going to the edit vertices dropdown of each to save time. The final result was a smaller model (about 3-4 MB smaller). Looking through the model it looks like it cut out a lot of faces, particularly around rounded objects (most noticeable around the letters on the sign), which I'm not super fond of. It does not appear that it fixed any overlapping planes and the resulting FBX did not import properly into 3DS max Interactive. I'm curious to know if the workflow worked properly when you tried it. Perhaps there was a step that I missed or the shortcut I took had more of an effect on the final result than I thought.

On a slightly different note, I've had more success using the Collapse utility to fix the problem. When collapsing everything into a single mesh and exporting it as an FBX the model properly imports into 3ds max interactive without noticeable loss of detail. Albeit, only as a singular mesh and all the materials are lost. This is passable, but most certainly not ideal. Follow-up question: Is there an efficient way to trim overlapping faces such as those shown in the model that does not necessitate going to each individual case of overlap and shifting the faces of the component objects until they no longer overlap/intersect?

Message 7 of 10

Hi @august.murdock 

I think I figured out the problem areas. It's the planes!

after deleting the planes that hang from the airport ceiling, I was able to import the fbx file into Max Interactive. Here is a screenshot. I can send you a private message with the fbx file that imports successfully if you would like.

Screenshot (459).pngScreenshot (463).png

I would suggest manually deleting the overlapping faces on the planes, or just recreating the propeller, decals and bolts on them.

Let me know if I can clarify anything further!

Hagen Deloss

Message 8 of 10

Well, after deleting the airplanes out I was able to properly import the building into 3DS max interactive, so that fixes that specific building's issue.

However, before I can call this mission completely resolved and successful I need to know exactly how you found out that it was the airplanes (and more specifically the propellers and engine) that was causing the bulk of the problems. I only ask because this is not the only building that I have had the issue with, but it is the only one that happens to have airplanes hanging from the ceiling. Forgive me if I sound rude or picky about this, but I want to make sure I know what's causing the problem as a whole rather than just on this specific example.

Message 9 of 10

Hi @august.murdock 

I'm so sorry I missed this last message! To check your model for Non-manifold geometry, you can use the Xview tool. 

For more information on this tool check out this article: Xview

The two things you generally want to  look out for are Overlapping Faces, and Overlapping Vertices.

Screenshot (525).png

Xview shows up on the bottom center of the screen, and only counts these properties with a selected mesh. If you have a large scene, you may want to select things in batches, not all at once.

Screenshot (524).png

Let me know how it goes, and again, sorry for the delayed response!

Hagen Deloss

Message 10 of 10

I think I figured out what is actually causing the problem. It's not actually the overlapping faces themselves which are breaking the model, I think it's something to do with the light baking on certain materials or objects. When I put in the model into the viewport after importing I'd get an error in the log console (example shown below). I can't actually read it because the last programming class I took was almost 4 years ago, but it seems like it's having some trouble referencing a material file.3ds max interactive error.JPG

Looking at the second [3] it says "path= light_baking.Railing Guardrail - Pipe w Extensions [7521884]_[7521858]". I went back into my 3DS Max model and searched for Railing Guardrail and deleted the associated object. When I re-imported everything worked properly. The example picture above is actually from a different model than earlier in the conversation but the solution has worked for both.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report