Softimage Forum (Read Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Softimage Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Softimage topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Softimage made history...

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
732 Views, 2 Replies

Softimage made history...

Just like others, I can't believe it's getting killed.

Autodesk probably doesn't care but Softimage made history with pioneer CG/ VFX/ Animation in movies like Jurassic Park and countless of other movie, game & TV ads. Yes the current software is evolution from the original Softimage but it's extremely disappointing that all the legacy and amazing work/ toolset will be lost.

Why did Autodesk buy it in the first place? And why can't it just strip away all the Autodesk IP (which is only the viewport cube and the registration splash screen when installing) from it and sell it to The Foundry or a company like that.

It's so sad that such a great tool is being put to the grave. 

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Agreed..... I hope it somehow can still contribute to the world of VFX and animation and games many years to come, and that all legal access to it, even if it stops development, will still be available to the world, be it just as history or an old tool.. it clearly was a great peice of software.

Message 3 of 3
timd1971
in reply to: Anonymous

3ds max user here...so sorry for your loss and my deepest condolences... sorry it may sound so cold... but do know Softimage was one of the GREATS!

Either way, I do agree... why the hell doesn't AD just sell it at a bargain basement deal to someone that will take it and nurture it and keep it alive like a dying baby bird? (or Tasmanian devil?) ; )

Because of fear it may come back from the dead and KILL off future profits of Maya & Max, that's why.

But really, they should just give it up...there was no good reason to kill something as powerful as Softimage...I knew they would do that though watching from the outside over the years.

Man that LAGOA was awesome! They'll probably Frankenstein some parts from SI to max and/or maya. i.e. that awesome draw region rendering that is MUCH better than the REGION render in max.

I guess they have already copied ICE with MCG in max.

Again, sorry for your loss. 😕

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report