Softimage Forum (Read Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Softimage Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Softimage topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

primitives.vbs crash

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
2474 Views, 7 Replies

primitives.vbs crash

Have Softimage 2014.  Operating on Win 10/64 Pro with Nvidia gtx 780. 

I'm getting a startup message that XSI didn't shut down correctly and do I want to save.  Then there is a script error and do I want to correct it.  Then Error in line 266 in C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Softimage2014\SP2\Applications\DSScripts\primitieves.vbs

I've trial all possible combinations of yes/no, etc and same crash.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Eric

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

This too...

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

ok, deleted the netview file so don't have that error any more.  But still have the primitives.vbs crash.  Thanks for any help. 

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

Ok, after months of trying this and trying that... I went back to my first version of XSI which was 4.0 Foundation.  reinstalled it with the user name and codes. 

4 Foundation resurrected and worked without the errors (oh, all my prior versions of XSI failed for the same primitives.vbx reason)...

Then after that the mod tool opened just fine (not that I want to use that)

and XSI 2014 SP2 ran just fine.

I have no idea what happened, I'm just in glee that 2014 works. 

And for the Powers that Be (PTB's)... the reason I cling to XSI is the rotoscope.  No other app has that.  I can load jpg's of blueprints and use the rotosocope in ways that the ancient but still necessary box images in Max and Maya are used, but I don't have camera issues with rotoscope like the box / plane-image method has.

More than that, the XSI ability to rotoscope where it keeps the blueprint locked in the screen and moves the construct of primitives around or, locks the view of the primitives and moves the bluprint around is awesome. 

XSI is the only app that does that. 

I would consider going beyond Maya 2014 or Modo 9, etc, if that one feature was incorporated.

Thanks

Eric

Message 5 of 8
rosborn42

Hi,

I had exactly the same problem on Monday - after using Softimage for years, suddenly a primitives.vbs error (on line 266, like you!).

After much messing around, trying to repairs things, I fully uninstalled and then reinstalled Softimage (2015 R2) and things are (fingers crossed) back to normal.

I have a feeling that it was something to do with a recent Windows 10 update as this was the only thing that had changed on my workstation before the error.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: rosborn42

So, to add to the discussion...  Happened again today.

The only thing I did was run c-cleaner by piriform but this time I used the registry cleaner as well.

XSI 2014 picked up the same problem.  For some reason I could not find my Foundation install, but I did have the install for 7.5 and ran that . All is well again for 2014 even though 7.5 won't run.  Odd that.

So I ran the registry cleaner again just to see what it was finding and mostly net.frame issues.  render frame activeX issue as well. I did NOT clean this time.  not sure what registry line it is, but I'm thinking this isn't win 10.

Oh, I used to run c-cleaner a lot with registry clean and it never messed with XSI.  So it seems that something has changed.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

I had the same thing happen to me today, directly after two Windows 8.1 updates. 

I uninstalled the windows updates (via control panel - uninstall a program - view updates), restarted the machine and was still getting the error.

Selecting both the 'repair' and 'reinstall' that you get in the Autodesk window after choosing to uninstall in control panel didn't fix the problem either.

Uninstalling Softimage completely and then reinstalling it again DID fix the problem. And as a side note, all of my recent file history, projects, add-ons etc from my previous install were still there after uninstalling and reinstalling. Very handy, and was one of the reasons why I didn't just opt for that straight out. So if you're concerned about having to re-setup everything after a complete uninstall-reinstall, then this might not be a problem for anyone else either?

Thanks everyone for your posts here!

P.S. I didn't record the Windows updates before uninstalling them, but based on what's back in my update download list, it was likely one/some of these;

KB3092601

KB3126593

KB3034348

KB4284815

FYI, these are in my 'Recommended' list

KB3092627

KB3132080

KB3149157

It would be nice if someone else can confirm any issues with any of these so we can work out which we need to avoid, and/or know that Softimage will work after installing these Windows updates

Message 8 of 8
RonaldvanVemden3444

Just in case someone else runs into the same issue;

This morning I suddenly encountered the same "primitives.vbs" error starting up Softimage. I was almost at the point of un- and re-installing, but so far it looks like I got lucky and running "runonce.bat" solved it for me this time.

I hope it sticks...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report