SketchBook Forum
Hello Sketchbook Community Members! Sketchbook started a new exciting endeavor. This forum is now read-only mode. Please visit the new Sketchbook Help Center, https://help.sketchbook.com/ in the future. Happy sketching!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vanishing Layers SketchBook iOS Help??

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
192 Views, 1 Reply

Vanishing Layers SketchBook iOS Help??

This might sound a little confusing, but I’m going to do my best to lay it out as neatly as possible.

I was working on a picture in SketchBook on my iPad — I had been working on it for a while and it had quite a lot of layers, but no more than I’ve used in the program before, I don’t think. I finished up the picture, went to the gallery, and exported it to my camera roll. After checking on it in my camera roll, I suddenly thought of a change I wanted to make and went back into the SketchBook app, only to find that it had frozen. Naturally I closed out of the app completely, then reopened it.

Here is the problem: although it opened to the same image that I had just been working on, quite a few of the layers were suddenly missing. I mean, these were layers with the main subject of the picture on them, and they were just completely gone. I tried closing and reopening the app a few more times, but it didn’t help. While I do of course have the one copy of the image that I saved, I’m not able to look at the original file in SketchBook with all of my layers on it. I have been using iOS Sketchbook for five years and have never seen this before.

My question is: is there a way to get my missing layers back? And if so, how?

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
david.lau
in reply to: Anonymous

1. Always save the file into the "SKETCHBOOK" Gallery.  By default, it will be a .tiff format and your layers will be maintained. 

2. Always save your 'progress" so your file does not get corrupted.

a. Start a sketch.

b. Start a new sketch and save the sketch (step a).

c. Go back to the original sketch (step a) via the Gallery.

d. Work on sketch (step a) and then start a new sketch. At this point, you can 'Save a Copy" of your work.

3. The last step is to 'Share" it.  I normally email it out (.png) so that it will maintain a transparent background.

4.  Sharing the file to the "Photos" section on the iPad will crash SketchBook and this issue has been reported to the Development team.

David Lau

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report