SketchBook Forum
Hello Sketchbook Community Members! Sketchbook started a new exciting endeavor. This forum is now read-only mode. Please visit the new Sketchbook Help Center, https://help.sketchbook.com/ in the future. Happy sketching!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SketchBook for Free! FAQ

127 REPLIES 127
Message 1 of 128
david.lau
567501 Views, 127 Replies

SketchBook for Free! FAQ

How do I get SketchBook for free?

• For the Mac or Windows desktop versions:
    • Download SketchBook from SketchBook.com, Windows Store, or Mac App Store
    • Install and launch SketchBook
    • If you have an existing Autodesk ID
      • Hit the Sign In button and enter your Autodesk ID and password
      • Now, start using SketchBook for free!
    • If you don’t have an Autodesk ID
      • Hit the Create Account button to create a free Autodesk ID and password
      • Launch SketchBook
      • Hit the Sign In button and enter your Autodesk ID and password
      • Now, start using SketchBook for free!

I am currently a subscriber. What does this mean for me?

After April 30, 2018, you will no longer need a subscription to run the full version of SketchBook.

If you purchased a Subscription from the Microsoft Store:

• Download the new version from the Microsoft Store, enter your Autodesk ID, and continue using SketchBook.
  • Your current subscription will not auto-renew.

If you purchased a Subscription from the iTunes Store or Mac App Store:

• Update your copy of SketchBook to the new version. Enter your Autodesk ID and continue using SketchBook.

If you purchased a Subscription from Google Play:

• Update your copy of SketchBook to the new version. Enter your Autodesk ID and continue using SketchBook.
  • You will be required to cancel your Google Play subscription. Due to the way some stores handle subscription, Autodesk is unable to do that for you.

If you purchased from a Subscription from SketchBook.com:

• Download the update from SketchBook.com.

Is SketchBook being retired?

No, SketchBook is not being retired. We will continue to develop SketchBook and SketchBook for Enterprise with a focus on adding functionality to enable designers, architects, and animators to capture conceptual art and designs. While not all functionality will end up in both SketchBook and SketchBook for Enterprise, you will continue to enjoy the robust capabilities of SketchBook and benefit from ongoing enhancements, free of charge.

What are the benefits of SketchBook for Enterprise?

SketchBook for Enterprise supports deployment at larger organizations and is included as part of different Autodesk collections. The product has similar features, with the exception of specific cross-product functionality, as it pertains to other Autodesk software in our collections.

In-App Purchase from iTunes Store or Google Play (Pro Tools)

Users who have purchased the In-App Pro Tools version of SketchBook,  now have access to the Desktop and Windows 10 version of SketchBook to complete your art. Desktop only features include access to Free brushesRadial SymmetryPredictive Stroke and Textured brushes.   To access the full version of SketchBook, create and login with an Autodesk ID.

To create an Autodesk ID, you can do it within the SketchBook products.  You can also create and/or reset the password here:

https://accounts.autodesk.com

David Lau
127 REPLIES 127
Message 21 of 128
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I agree with what you are saying - but don't waste your time presuming AutoDesk will answer your questions/concerns

Message 22 of 128
Anonymous

Thank you ... You’re right Autodesk will not address my concerns for the rather edit my original message in the forum and delete the messages who supported my sarcastic rant . Take care and good luck with Sketchbook ...right now I’m going to find some cheese to with my whine .
Message 23 of 128
Anonymous

You need to, in writing, request a refund - that's according to a private
email I was sent. If you want a copy, I can forward it to you.

If you are within 30 days of your subscription payment, you can do that.

Sadly, they say I cannot.
Message 24 of 128
Anonymous
in reply to: david.lau

I don't know if this is Good or Bad news. Usually when softwares go free it's because the lifetime of the software is coming to an end. 

How will you monetize Sketchbook to ensure continued support and updates, features etc? That's my main question. I don't mind paying for software I like to make sure I support the continued development. 

Sketchbook on Twitter went silent Nov 2017. The Nice Free brush sets went silent around the same time, Facebook posts went silent around December.

Is there anything else we should know about?

Message 25 of 128
Anonymous

While Sketchbook has been my go to program for digital sketching, I have a couple questions:

1.  I've been a paid user since 2015, I usually renew my subscription around May, will I be charged>

2. Now that everything is free for everyone(which is great for people wanting to try a new drawing program), is there any sort of "loyalty bonus" for the paid users? 

Message 26 of 128
Anonymous

This is actually kinda concerning. No, I'm not saying that it's because my not used up annual subscription and previously purchased mobile pro tool is going to be wasted. What I mean is, we might stop having some of the supports, say monthly brush sets and ticket based customer service. 

Also, it's concerning that with the introduction of Sketchbook for Enterprise, this software will become mainly a "product illustration" tool, rather than an "art" tool. It could potentially turn down a lot of artists that aren't product designers.

And, now since there's no way to subscribe on Windows Store or Mac App Store, basically the whole Chinese individual market would be lost. Well, not that it's very profitable though, but still, not every artist is product designer, and it's really not a very smart move to stop individual artist from being able to purchase the software. China might have a lot of pirate users, but it doesn't help if more than 70% of the software isn't available to individual in China. Sketchbook used to be an exception, but now it isn't. Well, at least individual would hardly need the enterprise version.

Message 27 of 128
Anonymous

Above I was someone discovering Krita, maybe that's why Autodesk keeps having users because they don't now that free software as good exist today.

Recently FOSS software have released a big update or plan to release a big one soon, I won't be surprised if more proprietary software will do the same move: releasing their software for free then abandoning it or reducing the price.

Here is the list, at the left a FOSS software for artists that are now as good or almost as good or better than his proprietary competitor:

Krita 4.0 - Sketchbook

https://youtu.be/a-CY4hmkg_I

Blender 2.8 - Maya

https://youtu.be/B9p3Xd_CO-8

Godot 3.0 - Unity

https://youtu.be/XptlVErsL-o

GIMP 2.10 - Photoshop

https://youtu.be/UkkCWt7LEOg

Inkscape - Illustrator

Message 28 of 128
Anonymous

Hi! Thank you for this cool news)
Guys, what kind of refund are you talking about? I also had a subscription on the iPad and the paid version was worth every cent. This news is a generous gesture of developers, please have a conscience.
Peace to all)

Message 29 of 128
Anonymous

I, as an individual, am slightly concerned (and a bit upset) about this. I just renewed my subscription back in the beginning of March (so, outside the 30-day refund window) and we are just now hearing about this. I'm not gonna kick up a fuss over $30, but it's a bit upsetting that there was no notice about the soon-to-be-free thing when I renewed my yearly subscription 2 months ago. The concerning part is that I paid for a reason: to support the software and get the "pro" features. The free version when I started out was nice for what I was doing then, just touching up images or doodling. But as I grew, so did my needs for features, and so I paid for that and it was worth it. It's nice that now everyone can start with more tools than they need, but what is lost in the process? There was a reason it was a paid program to begin with, so what's gonna be taken out to compensate for that money not being made?

I'm just one person, and I am using this program to support my hobby of photo manipulation and drawing/colouring. I have no need or use for a "group" program or a program focused on design, architect, or animation. I'm not jumping ship, yay free stuff, I'm just worried that SketchBook will shift from what I was originally here for. I'll wait for more info about this and to see the side-effects of the change.

Message 30 of 128
Anonymous

I just purchased a one-year subscription in January. Will I be getting a refund?

Message 31 of 128
Anonymous

I just paid for a subscription for pro on the 23rd... Man Sad

Message 32 of 128
Anonymous

Mine runs through December. I thought the same question.

Message 33 of 128
Anonymous

Hi...

I could say that I'm happy to know that software like this, goes free for everyone, for sure... it's a nice piece of software that I have been used for years, BUT, I just payed again on December 1st 2017 the annual service, so... I would like to know how can I ask for refund or at least, will you offer me some kind of compensation for the money you took without warning me (less than a half year after), that the software would go free for everyone??? Thank you!

P.S. I would REALLY appreciate an answer.

Respectfully,

Donny de Olim, Architect

ddolim@xxxxx.com

+xxx-xxxxxxxx

Message 34 of 128
Anonymous

Any chance for a Linux port?

Message 35 of 128
Anonymous

You consulted a lawyer (doubtful) for something that was 25.00 for an entire year? You signed up for it, you still got your value for it, and the sub won't renew. You will continue to get your value for it - it's just that everyone else is getting that same value now, too.

It amounts to 2.00 a month for however many months you have left of your sub. Yeah, I know, it's the principle; someone else is getting for free what you paid for. And for some reason, that's a terrible thing, I guess. Why not consider it part of your contribution towards their R&D towards making an awesome program. 

And when your sub runs out, you get the free benefit, too! You can buy an extra 6 Starbucks coffees that year. 

Message 36 of 128
Anonymous

Yes, it is the principle of the matter. It is also a matter of contractual obligation.

When Autodesk willingly took money for subscriptions and then decided to make the tools that people were paying for free to all without first informing subscribers of the upcoming changes, that changes the agreement that every single subscription owner had with Autodesk. Especially those who just renewed their subscription.

This was not a spur-of-the-moment decision; Autodesk had to plan this to time the releases appropriately. To not let this be known to people who have a paid subscription when they are renewing is simply not acceptable.

Message 37 of 128
Anonymous

Do you think clothes shops tell their customers in advance when they will have Sales and discounts? Everyone would wait for that, and they would lose a lot of profit. If you buy a new shirt - a week later it goes on sale. Do you really take the shirt back and demand the money back because they didn't tell you about the upcoming sale so you can save a few $. That's just ridiculous...  

Why don't you see it this way? You supported the continued development of a Software that you use and probably like buy paying for it for another year. And you're complaining even though you don't have to pay next year.

Sales or giveaways are never announced in advance. That's just stupid. Consider yourself lucky that it's now for free.

What do I know, there will always be those kind of people like in the show "Extreme Cheapskates" that use the toilet paper on both sides just to save a buck.

Message 38 of 128
Anonymous

This is not a sale or it is a discount. It is now for free.

This is like you going to the store to buy your toilet paper, and then the store giving the toilet paper away for free out of the back door.

"Support the developers" is the rally cry, but is not about the developers. It is about the product. If it was about the developers I would have donated to the Krita fund instead of purchasing a Sketchbook subscription.

But what do I know, I don't drink the Autodesk Kool-Aid. 

And, why don't you see it this way, @Anonymous?

Message 39 of 128
Anonymous

Dropped Autodesk like a hot brick when they went rent-ware with Sketchbook and now that it is free they complete my bad impression of them by basically forcing me to upgrade my OS when I don't want to. The OS I have now is still supported by Apple for security and runs optimally on my hardware. But Autodesk can't be bothered to do the same and is making me upgrade past 10.11..6. I don't want to because I don't want to bog down my hardware. 

So glad I went to Krita over this nonsense. Too little too late and annoying to boot. 

Message 40 of 128
david.lau

@Anonymous

Unfortunately, we will not be porting SketchBook to Linux.

David Lau

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report