SketchBook Forum
Hello Sketchbook Community Members! Sketchbook started a new exciting endeavor. This forum is now read-only mode. Please visit the new Sketchbook Help Center, https://help.sketchbook.com/ in the future. Happy sketching!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SketchBook for Free! FAQ

127 REPLIES 127
Message 1 of 128
david.lau
569916 Views, 127 Replies

SketchBook for Free! FAQ

How do I get SketchBook for free?

• For the Mac or Windows desktop versions:
    • Download SketchBook from SketchBook.com, Windows Store, or Mac App Store
    • Install and launch SketchBook
    • If you have an existing Autodesk ID
      • Hit the Sign In button and enter your Autodesk ID and password
      • Now, start using SketchBook for free!
    • If you don’t have an Autodesk ID
      • Hit the Create Account button to create a free Autodesk ID and password
      • Launch SketchBook
      • Hit the Sign In button and enter your Autodesk ID and password
      • Now, start using SketchBook for free!

I am currently a subscriber. What does this mean for me?

After April 30, 2018, you will no longer need a subscription to run the full version of SketchBook.

If you purchased a Subscription from the Microsoft Store:

• Download the new version from the Microsoft Store, enter your Autodesk ID, and continue using SketchBook.
  • Your current subscription will not auto-renew.

If you purchased a Subscription from the iTunes Store or Mac App Store:

• Update your copy of SketchBook to the new version. Enter your Autodesk ID and continue using SketchBook.

If you purchased a Subscription from Google Play:

• Update your copy of SketchBook to the new version. Enter your Autodesk ID and continue using SketchBook.
  • You will be required to cancel your Google Play subscription. Due to the way some stores handle subscription, Autodesk is unable to do that for you.

If you purchased from a Subscription from SketchBook.com:

• Download the update from SketchBook.com.

Is SketchBook being retired?

No, SketchBook is not being retired. We will continue to develop SketchBook and SketchBook for Enterprise with a focus on adding functionality to enable designers, architects, and animators to capture conceptual art and designs. While not all functionality will end up in both SketchBook and SketchBook for Enterprise, you will continue to enjoy the robust capabilities of SketchBook and benefit from ongoing enhancements, free of charge.

What are the benefits of SketchBook for Enterprise?

SketchBook for Enterprise supports deployment at larger organizations and is included as part of different Autodesk collections. The product has similar features, with the exception of specific cross-product functionality, as it pertains to other Autodesk software in our collections.

In-App Purchase from iTunes Store or Google Play (Pro Tools)

Users who have purchased the In-App Pro Tools version of SketchBook,  now have access to the Desktop and Windows 10 version of SketchBook to complete your art. Desktop only features include access to Free brushesRadial SymmetryPredictive Stroke and Textured brushes.   To access the full version of SketchBook, create and login with an Autodesk ID.

To create an Autodesk ID, you can do it within the SketchBook products.  You can also create and/or reset the password here:

https://accounts.autodesk.com

David Lau
127 REPLIES 127
Message 41 of 128
Anonymous
in reply to: david.lau

Hi! I'm wondering what you mean by "Users who have purchased the In-App Pro Tools version of SketchBook, now have access to the Desktop and Windows 10 version of SketchBook to complete your art." Are you implying that we have access to a version of sketchbook that is not completely free for everyone, or that we no longer get anything extra for our money? 

Message 42 of 128
david.lau
in reply to: Anonymous

If you have bought Pro Tools, the newer version is free but requires a login.    With the login, you can also access the desktop version of SketchBook.

For me personally, the mobile version is limited so having SketchBook on a desktop computer is ideal.  You need both the mobile (quick sketches on the run) and desktop versions (finalizing) of SketchBook complete your work.    

Before the free upgrade, users wanted the desktop version of SketchBook after buying the IN-APP purchase.  I would have to explain to them that you need a subscription.

David Lau
Message 43 of 128
Anonymous

@Anonymous: you can see the alternatives to Sketchbook on Linux here: https://alternativeto.net/software/autodesk-sketchbook/?platform=linux
Message 44 of 128
Anonymous

I hope I'm not being too cynical but how will you be making money on this program moving forward? I am thrilled about not having to re-up my subscription next year but I tend to get suspicious when I can't see how a company is making their money.  Will you be selling brush packs? include sketchbook as part of a paid software bundle? 

Thanks!!

Message 45 of 128
Anonymous

re: "Users who have purchased the In-App Pro Tools version of SketchBook,  now have access to the Desktop and Windows 10 version of SketchBook to complete your art."

What does this mean?

Message 46 of 128
chandlerart

Did they change something to the program? I tried opening it today, (saw the news it went free) and it's a mess! It automatically goes to full screen, I can't escape it or access the top menu (on the Mac), it's slow to respond, even freezes, parts disappear... what just happened? Is there a way to fix this? 

Message 47 of 128
Anonymous
in reply to: chandlerart

At least you can open it. I can't even install it on El Capitan. Apparently I have to wreck my hardware by going to newer OSX versions to even use it(which I am not going to do). So at least you get a glimpse of it. It could be worse.

Message 48 of 128
david.lau

@Anonymous

Here is the method to login on Mobile device.  You use the SAME login id (email) to access the desktop version of SketchBook.

https://autode.sk/2rv5QOr

SketchBook on Mobile will run for 7 days (without issue) if you don't create the account.  After 7 days, you must login.  Once you are logged it, it should run for a least 30 days without issue until you need to login again.

David Lau
Message 49 of 128
david.lau
in reply to: chandlerart

@chandlerart

Try to reset SketchBook to default via renaming the 8.0 folder located here:

/Users/~your-user-name~/Library/Application Support/Autodesk/SketchBook

See:

https://www.sketchbook.com/help/knowledge-base/back-files-settings/

David Lau
Message 50 of 128
chandlerart

Hi, that actually did the trick! Working 100% now! Thank you so much! 

Pardon my panic attack.  LOL 

Message 51 of 128
david.lau

@Anonymous

We will be releasing 8.6.1 today to support 10.11 (El Capitan).

David Lau
Message 52 of 128
Anonymous

Is this a free trial?

If I sign in, does a free trial begin? I thought the app was already free. I payed a dollar for extra tools and that's it.

Will I have to pay a yearly or monthly price to use Sketchbook now?

Message 53 of 128
vazquez_barz

Is now for Linux too?
Message 54 of 128
Anonymous

I contacted them and they said I had to go Microsoft who I originally bought it through. Neither of them will give me a refund. I. Didn’t even ask. For the full year just half and they still said no, it was past the 30 day Mark.  that’s really slimy if you ask me.

@Anonymouswrote:

So what about those of us who already have subscriptions to Sketchbook? Will we see some value added items? Should we be expecting some sort of refund? My subscription runs through September.

Message 55 of 128
Anonymous

I contacted them and they said I had to go Microsoft who I originally bought it through. Neither of them will give me a refund. I. Didn’t even ask. For the full year just half and they still said no, it was past the 30 day Mark.  that’s really slimy if you ask me.

@Anonymouswrote:

So what about those of us who already have subscriptions to Sketchbook? Will we see some value added items? Should we be expecting some sort of refund? My subscription runs through September.

Tags (1)
Message 56 of 128
PaulineFerguson

Hiya,

I have a subscription, and when using the desktop app, can stay signed in, however, when using the Windows 10 app (which I'm more familiar with) it asks me to sign in every single time - which doesn't work if I'm not online (say, on the train).  I have tried the whole "stay signed in" box, and it does nothing.  How can I stay signed in so it stops asking me this question???  

Message 57 of 128
Anonymous

does this in anyway effect the privacy of my stored work?

Message 58 of 128
Anonymous

They say fully featured but it's not.....where's the perspective guides gone?? Subscribed for years and now half the features are gone...

Message 59 of 128
david.lau

@Anonymous

On Windows, there are 2 versions of SketchBook you can install.

a. Desktop - Download is here:  www.sketchbook.com/thankyou

b. Windows 10 (Tablet) - Download is here:  www.sketchbook.com/windows10 > Blue Button

Perspective Tools are in the Desktop version of SketchBook.

David Lau
Message 60 of 128
Anonymous

Its all just a play on words, to raise the price.
25 bucks a year Pro has become Enterprize for 85 bucks a year .. And we've all be downgraded to fools, for supporting a greedy company.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report