SketchBook Forum
Hello Sketchbook Community Members! Sketchbook started a new exciting endeavor. This forum is now read-only mode. Please visit the new Sketchbook Help Center, https://help.sketchbook.com/ in the future. Happy sketching!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sketchbook Crashing

31 REPLIES 31
Message 1 of 32
Anonymous
2258 Views, 31 Replies

Sketchbook Crashing

Hello, I use Autodesk sketchbook on my MacBook Air, and recently I updated my computer to macOS High Sierra version 10.13.6. All of a sudden, whenever I load up Sketchbook and start drawing, the software freezes, as well as my entire computer. I have no choice but to restart the computer. I've tried freeing up space, and uninstalling and re-downloading. Nothing seems to work, and this all started when I updated my Mac. Has anyone else have this problem and if so, do you know what's the best solution?

31 REPLIES 31
Message 21 of 32
Anonymous
in reply to: david.lau

Versions 8.4.3 and 8.5.1 both freeze my system, even after deleting the preferences folder.

I also re-installed SketchBook Pro 6, which I purchased from the Mac App Store back in 2013. It also crashes my system after a short amount of time -- even though I previously used Pro 6 for years without this issue!

This makes me suspect the freezing issue is due to a change in macOS, or something else system-related, rather than a bug that has appeared in SketchBook.

Message 22 of 32
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I think that in the past there have been times where something like this has happened and they managed to fix it somehow. Super hoping that this can be fixed 😰 So far, nothing has been helpful...

I'm already dreading how hard my anxiety is going to hit me if I can never use Sketchbook again.

Message 23 of 32
david.lau

@Anonymous 

Here is the 7.2.1:

https://myshare.autodesk.com/:u:/g/personal/david_lau_autodesk_com/EVdEHeLI8CxBj9y2pBjopR4BOi1rIGC1GBNkGT-jtv6iBw?e=gqdqQt

Please let me know if this even runs...

Please confirm with 'default preferences":

8.7.x = doesn't work

8.6.x = doesn't work

8.5.x = doesn't work

6.x = From Mac AppStore doesn't work (I expect it to not work because of Xcode that it was compiled for may not work in High Sierra Macs.

The only thing that I can think of is that there is some 3rd party app that is causing the issue.  Anti-Virus/Firewall Software etc. 

I have tested on 2 x High Sierra Macs and SketchBook runs.  They both have different video card specs too.  i.e. Base (Iris only)  and Upgraded (Iris + Radeon).

David Lau
Message 24 of 32
Anonymous

@david.lau 

Crashed immediately. 

You said it worked on your Macs? Here's the specs on mine. What should I change and how do I do it?

Screen Shot 2020-04-22 at 12.19.22 PM.png

Thanks for your help. Hoping this works out.

Message 25 of 32
Anonymous

Here's more info on the graphics card.

Screen Shot 2020-04-22 at 12.26.25 PM.png

Message 26 of 32
Anonymous

Just to be clear, SketchBook doesn't always crash immediately. Sometimes, I have to work in it for a short while (maybe up to 15 minutes?) before the freeze happens. Usually it happens in a few seconds, but it can take longer. I wonder if it might be some kind of memory issue.

Message 27 of 32
Anonymous

@david.lau 

I just don't see how a third party issue could be causing anything at all because I haven't changed anything in the past 8+ years I've used Sketchbook. That's why I don't believe it's the graphics card either, because it's been that way for such a long time and nothing ever went wrong until now, for no reason I can control. I don't understand why it's working on your computers when it isn't working on any of ours. It doesn't work on my iMac, somebody else's Macbook Pro, and another person's Macbook Air. But, by some "miracle" it is working on your two computers -- That still doesn't help us. Not that I don't appreciate the advice, but we've trouble-shooted everything and it won't work. I think that whatever the solution is will have to come from Autodesk because there doesn't seem to be anything we can do. Maybe find a Mac that will crash it and try to identify the problem?

Whatever it is, it really needs to be fixed because there's a lot of us here who can't go without Sketchbook.

It just isn't an option for me to never be able to use it again...

Message 28 of 32
david.lau

When you install SketchBook, please try to install it in the default location, do not move it to a new folder.

Because you are on a Mac, you can actually also try to use the one from the Mac App Store.

MAS - It will install SketchBook here:  Applications > SketchBook

Download - It will install SketchBook here:  Applications > Autodesk > SketchBook

I want to make sure that you have installed SketcHBook Pro 7.2.1 and confirm it runs or not.  

https://myshare.autodesk.com/:u:/g/personal/david_lau_autodesk_com/EVdEHeLI8CxBj9y2pBjopR4BOi1rIGC1G...

David Lau
Message 29 of 32
Anonymous

@david.lau 

I've done this like 10 times with all different versions of Sketchbook. Here's a step by step process of what I do, as told be screen caps:

1) Here's the download page:

Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 12.50.46 PM.png

2) After it downloads, this opens:

Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 12.52.32 PM.png

3) I click the package and go through the steps to install:

Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 12.53.26 PM.png

4) Done:

Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 12.53.54 PM.png

5) After the software is installed, I open up Applications:

Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 12.54.27 PM.png

6) I click Autodesk:

Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 12.54.48 PM.png

7) I click Sketchbook:

Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 12.54.55 PM.png

8 ) I click the pencil to open Sketchbook. Then I get this screen -- I click 'skip' because I know that version doesn't work:

Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 12.55.09 PM.png

9) This is info on the version I'm using:

Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 12.57.36 PM.png

10) Drew some trash doodles for about 5 min before Sketchbook crashes. Can't even take a screen cap. Have to shut down my computer. It's the same story. This isn't working.

Message 30 of 32
Anonymous

I wonder if this is an issue with apple products . I’m having same issue on iPad and desperately need to access some drawings. I’m worried I’ll loose them if I have to re-install.

Message 31 of 32
david.lau

Please get the latest 8.7.1 version.

It will install it in 2 folders in Autodesk.

Applications > Autodesk > SketchBook Pro = 7.2.1

Applications > Autodesk > SketchBook = 8.7.1.

NOTE:  SketchBook has the same features as SketchBook Pro 7.2.1.

David Lau
Message 32 of 32
Anonymous

2021 UPDATE:

I thought this was dead but I just got a notice that somebody else has replied to this thread.

It has been a while since this all happened, but back when it was I was able to contact David Lau and set up a Zoom meeting to show him the problem. He did a lot of troubleshooting but, sadly we were not able to fix it for me and i have since switched to a new program. I am still able to access all my files and their layers on Sketchbook, I just cannot use the program to draw.

However, just because nothing worked for me I don't think it necessarily means it won't work for you, unless your computer is just the same as mine. I also want to point out that David was especially patient and helpful, and it was just poor luck that the program doesn't work on my part. I have a feeling that it has something to do with it's compatibility on a Mac, but who knows.

This isn't to say that things will not be fixed in the future, I just want to let you all know what my situation was and that I won't be replying to this thread after this.

Good luck! Don't lose hope!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report