SketchBook Forum
Hello Sketchbook Community Members! Sketchbook started a new exciting endeavor. This forum is now read-only mode. Please visit the new Sketchbook Help Center, https://help.sketchbook.com/ in the future. Happy sketching!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sketchbook Crashing

31 REPLIES 31
Message 1 of 32
Anonymous
2247 Views, 31 Replies

Sketchbook Crashing

Hello, I use Autodesk sketchbook on my MacBook Air, and recently I updated my computer to macOS High Sierra version 10.13.6. All of a sudden, whenever I load up Sketchbook and start drawing, the software freezes, as well as my entire computer. I have no choice but to restart the computer. I've tried freeing up space, and uninstalling and re-downloading. Nothing seems to work, and this all started when I updated my Mac. Has anyone else have this problem and if so, do you know what's the best solution?

31 REPLIES 31
Message 2 of 32
david.lau
in reply to: Anonymous

Can you install SketchBook from here:

www.sketchbook.com/thankyou

On your MacBook Air, can you let me know the model (year) via Apple > About this Mac?  Also, how much RAM is on your computer?  I have included the specs on my Mac as well.

David Lau
Message 3 of 32
Anonymous

Having exactly the same problem. It lets me work on a document for about 30 seconds, and then lags insanely, alternates back and forth from a frozen mouse and a spinning beachball, and eventually freezes the whole computer. I tried restarting my computer a bunch, deleting Sketchbook and reinstalling it... nothing works. 😞

Included a screenshot of my "about this Mac" in case it helps.

Message 4 of 32
Anonymous

I have a MacBook Pro that runs MacOs - High Sierra.
I have a yearly subscription to Sketchbook Pro.

Recently my Sketchbook freezes my entire system and I forced to restart my computer.

Sketchbook Pro starts to lag within the first 10 min of using it; if I close it and reopen it I get a blacked-out window where Sketchbook is suppose to be. 

or

I to late and my system freezes and I forced to soft-restart my computer.

Right now my count on force restarting my computer is at 5 times within 1 hour.

I have tried to re-download the programs. Made sure I download all updates and fixes, but it doesn't seem to help. 

I need HELP! I use this program every day for min. 8 hours a day.  Now it won't even work for 10-15 min without crashing.

Message 5 of 32
Anonymous

Yes! The exact same thing keeps happening to me and I have MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6 too!

Here is my issue: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/sketchbook-forum/sketchbook-pro-8-7-1-keeps-crashing-badly-please-hel...

I uninstalled then re-installed the program, troubleshooted, cleared out a bunch of junk form my computer, did absolutely everything I needed to that would make it work. It is definitely a problem with the program and not something we can do. Hopefully this is resolved soon.

Message 6 of 32
Anonymous
in reply to: david.lau

I did download it from there and it still didn't work. It is a problem with the program for sure.

Nice to see that at least everybody else is having the same issue. I was freaking out 😅

Message 7 of 32
Anonymous

Same thing is happening to me! Any time I use SketchBook, it freezes, then my entire system locks up, and I have to force shut down the computer. This renders me completely unable to do any art work and is a huge problem for me. I have a MacBook Air running Mojave (although the same thing happened when I was using High Sierra). Tried re-installing SketchBook but that didn't solve anything.

I have attached a screenshot of my "About This Mac" window.

Message 8 of 32
david.lau

Can you get the free version here:

www.sketchbook.com/thankyou

After you install it, it will be located here:

Applications > Autodesk > SketchBook

David Lau
Message 9 of 32
Anonymous

Have tried uninstalling and reinstalling this version multiple times. Any other ideas?

Message 10 of 32
Anonymous

Hi, thanks for replying. Unfortunately using this version doesn't solve the problem, in fact it would appear to freeze more quickly than the version I was using before (from the Mac App Store).

Message 11 of 32
david.lau

Can you try to delete the preferences located here:

Finder > Go > (hold Option) > Library > Application Support > Autodesk > SketchBook and RENAME the 8.0 folder to "8.0-OLD".  

When you restart SketchBook a new 8.0 folder will restart and update with new default settings.

http://help.autodesk.com/view/SKETPRO/ENU/?guid=SKETPRO_Help_sb_basics_back_files_settings_html

Does your laptop have this option?  It is under Preferences > Energy Saver.   I am hoping you can uncheck Automatic Graphics Switching.  This means that your laptop has 2 'video cards' on your mac.

Screen Shot 2020-04-20 at 10.08.18 AM.png

What type of Tablet are you using on your Mac?  Wacom + Driver

David Lau
Message 12 of 32
Anonymous

I don't know how to get to that screen on my Mac. There's no "Go" option once I get to Finder. I have a Mac but it isn't a laptop. I went to preferences and energy saver but this is the screen that popped up:Screen Shot 2020-04-20 at 9.47.28 AM.png

And I'm using a Wacom tablet that I've been using for years with no problem.

My guess is that this is a bug in the program which makes it incompatible with High Sierra for the time being, and that there needs to be a patch or something so that it no longer occurs. But who knows? 😛

Message 13 of 32
Anonymous

@david.lau 

Okay. I found the "Go" option but there's no "library" tab

Screen Shot 2020-04-20 at 1.34.37 PM.png

I really don't know what exactly your asking us to do anyway but I've already tried so much and I still have the freezing problem, like the topic creator and everybody else here does too. I uninstalled 8.7.1 and reinstalled it, after that didn't work I tried installing the 8.6.1 version of Sketchbook and that didn't work either.

It sounds like that by resorting default settings, you're trying to ask me to do something that'd delete my preferences. I'm really concerned about losing all my brushes and the files I'm right in the middle of drawing. 

What do you think is going on that's causing this for everybody?

Thanks for putting up with us.

Message 14 of 32
david.lau

a.  You can backup your brushes.  

http://help.autodesk.com/view/SKETPRO/ENU/?guid=SKETPRO_Help_sb_brushes_use_brush_library_export_bru...

b.  Can you try to install this older version of SketchBook?

https://myshare.autodesk.com/:u:/g/personal/david_lau_autodesk_com/ESY9mO82izVPqzTB0FkwQAwB7DXHK0CWf...

c.  You can actually rename 8.7.1, 8.6.1 and 8.5.1 and have all 3 versions on your mac.  

i.  Delete Applications > Autodesk folder.

ii.  Install SketchBook 8.5.1 - Rename the folder to:  Applications > Autodesk > SketchBook 8.5.

iii.  Install SketchBook 8.6/1 - Rename the folder to:  Applications > Autodesk > SketchBook 8.6

iii Install SketchBook 8.7.1 (www.sketchbook.com/thankyou) and you will have 3 copies of SketchBook to test out.  You need to navigate to each folder to launch a version.

d.  As you already figured out, the preferences will be in the 8.0 folder.  I would copy it and ZIP it up on your desktop.  To ZIP (compress the folder), just highlight the folder > right mouse (2 finger tap) > and choose the "COMPRESS" option.  NOTE:  Hold "Option" + Go and you will see a Library folder.

David Lau
Message 15 of 32
Anonymous

All that link did (the second one) was download Sketchbook 8.7.1 again.

I don't really what's going on or what I'm being told to do. Sorry, not a computer expert.

Message 16 of 32
Anonymous

@david.lau 

Okay. I came back and figured out what you were saying. Sorry I didn't understand it before.

I followed your instructions and can confirm that Sketchbook 8.5.1 - just like 8.6.1 and 8.7.1 - still experiences the crash.

Message 17 of 32
Anonymous

Hi, I renamed my preferences folder like you said. When I restarted sketchbook, a new 8.0 folder appeared alongside the 8.0-OLD folder, as you described. However, Sketchbook still froze after a few seconds.

I'm sorry to say my laptop does not have that Energy Saver preferences checkbox. Everything else in your screenshot is present, but not automatic graphics switching.

My tablet is a Wacom Intuos5 Touch. My driver version is 6.3.38-3, which the Wacom Desktop Center app says is the most recent version.

Hope this helps.

Message 18 of 32
david.lau

@Anonymous @Anonymous 

Can you try these older versions of SketchBook?

https://myshare.autodesk.com/:u:/g/personal/david_lau_autodesk_com/ESY9mO82izVPqzTB0FkwQAwB7DXHK0CWfi7pwHLxMq4ycA?e=KwrOSI

https://myshare.autodesk.com/:u:/g/personal/david_lau_autodesk_com/EWyaPcl5jyFIj5SAlM71Gg0Bxlt50J_pBRbV08URUd-Dzw?e=TUlz8F

Please reset the settings by deleting/renaming the 8.0 folder.

David Lau
Message 19 of 32
Anonymous

@david.lau 

Nope. Still crashes.

I'm telling you man, it's a bug. Sketchbook just glitches out on 10.13.6. It needs to be patched : \

Message 20 of 32
Anonymous

I'm going to have a mad panic attack if I can never use Sketchbook again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report