SketchBook Forum
Hello Sketchbook Community Members! Sketchbook started a new exciting endeavor. This forum is now read-only mode. Please visit the new Sketchbook Help Center, https://help.sketchbook.com/ in the future. Happy sketching!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I've lost all my work (twice) and now I can't even import image

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
865 Views, 2 Replies

I've lost all my work (twice) and now I can't even import image

Please bear with me. I'm very frustrated and I need help.

I just recently got a Samsung Tab S6. A coworker recommended Autodesk Sketchbook and when it works, I think it's a great app for drawing on a tablet. However, since there's no dedicated save button, I was relying on the app's autosave feature to save my progress. Well, this morning when I went to continue working on my project, I found that it had mysteriously disappeared without a trace and all of my progress with it.

So, I find that the way you have to save images in this app is to return to the gallery or start a new sketch and save it when the app asks you if you wanna save? C'mon, just add a save button to the menu. Please? Anyways, I got into the habit of saving my work through this inefficient method, and started all over. I work on my project for most of the day, and I come to a point where I need to import another reference image. When I select the image to import I get an error message that reads "Fail to Open File. The file format or size is not supported yet," which is weird because I tried importing a .png and it was the exact same resolution as all my other reference images. Speaking of which, I doubled back and tried to import an image I had successfully imported earlier in the day, and it gave me the same error message.

I'm pretty handy with electronics, I've built a good handful of computers and I know my way around file directories, so I decided to get a little risky. I went into my tablet's files and backed up the project file of my work to a separate folder *just in case.* I then went to clear the app's cache and data in my tablet's settings. No dice, still can't import images, regardless of the size or file type. I then reinstalled the app and I was met with the same thing. I then noticed that even after clearing the cache, data and reinstalling the app, my project file was still in the app's gallery, so I figured there must still be some residual junk data hiding in the folder that's preventing me from importing images. So since I made a backup, I decided to uninstall the app again and delete everything left in the Sketchbook3 folder and then I copied the project file I had backed up back into the installation directory after reinstalling.

But inside the app, there were no project files. The gallery was empty and in the preferences there was no option check for recoverable images like this document here says to do so. My progress, while it still technically exists, is now out of my reach. And to make matters worse, I'm still incapable of importing images regardless  of file size or format, so even if I wanted to restart a third time, I'd have to redo everything 100% from scratch.

tl;dr
Issue: My work is inaccessible in the app, despite the .tiff file being present in the app's file directory
Issue: I cannot import images into a project, regardless of the imported image's file size or type
Attempted solutions: Cleared app cache and data, reinstalled the app, cleared residual files, copied backup project file into app file directory

Please, any and all help is appreciated. I just want to get back to work on my project. I really don't feel an app developed by Autodesk of all companies should have issues of this magnitude. 

Labels (5)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
david.lau
in reply to: Anonymous

Thanks for your message and I totally understand how you feel....

a. The save button would be a great idea. I have made suggestions before so I am going to get you to post something here:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/sketchbook-ideas/idb-p/804

For example, the desktop version has a ruler but it is technically only a straight edge:

http://help.autodesk.com/view/SKETPRO/ENU/?guid=SKETPRO_Help_sb_tools_how_to_use_guides_html

b.  Saving workflow you discussed is actually been around for sometime and you have already discovered the 'workaround'.  See step 7 here: 

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/sketchbook-forum/android-sketchbook-tips-and-tricks/td-p/9385407

c.  The more you use SketchBook, the easier it will become.  I have that S6 in our QA area and it is a really good device.  I wish the stylus had a pocket or was a bit bigger. I almost lost it because it's so small.   The big thing is saving the file and also 'saving' versions of the file.  

d.  You need to always save it to the Gallery.  Sometimes, a preview will show up in the "Photo Gallery'.  These 2 sections are different.

SketchBook Gallery:  /Autodesk/SketchBook3/*.tif

Photo Gallery: /Photos * & /Autodesk/SketchBook3/SketchBookPreviews

If you copy the .tif file and send it to the Windows/Mac computer, you can use SketchBook (via www.sketchbook.com/thankyou) to continue your work on a desktop computer with a Wacom tablet.

Always open the *.tif file so you keep your layer stack intact so you can edit the file later.

e. Size is tricky (and resolution)...

https://blogs.autodesk.com/sketchbookpro/trents-tips-what-resolution-should-you-use-anyway/

https://www.scantips.com/calc.html

FYI, the larger the canvas, the less undo's you have.  

f.  Here is a sketch I did on a Tab S6.

20200319_134004 (1).jpg

David Lau
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: david.lau

Is there no way to continue my work on my Tab S6? I don't have have a Wacom Tablet for my computer, the program should just work as intended on my Tab S6. Why I can't import images anymore, why has that function suddenly stopped working? I know the app supports .png and 4K images for importing cuz it worked when I first started my project.

How can I continue my project on my tablet?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report